Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Which phone is better for Europe Nokia 6225 vs. Sanyo 8200

spons23

Apr 27, 2004, 12:40 PM
I need to purchase a new cell phone. I'm under contract with sprint. I'm planning on traveling to the Netherlands next year and was wondering which would be a better to have acroos the sea. I'm down to the Nokia 6225 or the Sanyo 8200. Any help would be appreciated. Also I live in San Diego, and if anybody knows how these phones do there that would be cool too.
luke
Rich Brome

Apr 27, 2004, 2:08 PM
Neither phone will work at all overseas. They're both CDMA phones - you generally need a GSM phone to roam overseas.

There aren't any CDMA/GSM phones on the market yet. There are two coming this summer, but all indication is that they will only be released with Verizon, not Sprint.
spons23

Apr 27, 2004, 2:40 PM
Is it possible to unlock your phone while in Europe and have your new carrier make it GSM?
Rich Brome

Apr 27, 2004, 3:06 PM
No. CDMA and GSM refer to the basic wireless technology the phone uses - like AM vs FM radio. CDMA and GSM are very different ways to transmit digital wireless signals.

A CDMA and GSM phone might look similar, but inside is totally different - different chips and everything. It's 100% a hardware thing. "Converting" a CDMA phone to GSM would be like converting your gasoline car to electric.

Unlocking is a totally different subject.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.