Phone Scoop

printed September 20, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=8&fi=3063370

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

Back to message list

Can someone explain the difference between a GSM phone and a GSM capable phone?

by erict    Feb 15, 2012, 5:34 PM

I spent 45 minutes trying to comprehend the Verizon employee who seemed to be making stuff up as he went along. I told him that I want a phone that I can use in Europe and the US. He said that I need a GSM phone.

I asked him if he had any GSM phones. He said that they have Global and World Ready phones but no GSM phones, I would have to go to AT&T.

I asked if the Global and World Ready phones would work in Europe. He said that they would work ok.

I asked what he meant by "ok". He said that the phone was primarily CDMA but it had some GSM functions.

I asked him what GSM functions it was lacking. He said none.

I asked him, If it's not missing any GSM functions, then it's as good as a GSM phone, right? I'll be able to use it in Europe? He said, "Well, sort of".

And we went in circles like this for 45 minutes - I got no useful answer and left the store. I don't want to buy from AT&T but I do want to hit this Verizon employee in the face with a shovel. Not a plastic snow shovel but a solid steel ditch digging shovel.

Can some smart person here please help me lower my blood pressure by explaining what the Veriz. guy was trying to say?

Thanks.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.