Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Mobile Phone Service in Iraq?

RitaZero

Feb 24, 2004, 3:44 PM
I am a Telecom Analyst who supports mobile phones for over 200 Associates. One of them was recently called into active duty and shipped to Iraq. He claims that some of the soldiers there have ATT working mobile phones. ATT tells me they don't have service in Iraq. My Associate is insistent and wants me to get him a mobile phone to use while there. Can anyone else confirm or deny that ATT service is available in Iraq? Are there any carriers up and running in Iraq? Thanks for your help.
muchdrama

Feb 26, 2004, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking that since they've recently put up a GSM network over there that your associate is seeing people using AT&T GSM phones on that network (not AT&T's).
simplymarcus

Feb 28, 2004, 11:49 PM
I work for cingular wireless. I have looked into this and no us carriers are over there really or have romaing agrements with them. They offer no cloning protection for customers thats the big reason. There is some CDMA over there but I doubt even if you had a VErizon phone it would work because Verizon does not allow customer s to roam in Iraq because of no cloning protection. There is some GSM there but what they charge US carriers depends on how they feel so really no GSM US carrier wants to deal with Iraq.
Rich Brome

Mar 1, 2004, 8:02 PM
There is a very small GSM 900 network (about 30 towers) in Bahgdad. It's run under the brand "Iraqna", and it launched about a month ago. There's another, older GSM 900 network in parts of the north, run by Asia-Cell.

I don't know what (if any) roaming agreements they have in place to allow U.S. customers to roam there, but you should be able to use any unlocked GSM 900 phone with an Iraqna SIM card.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.