Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Roaming overseas

howardk111

Aug 24, 2010, 4:16 PM
I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 and was thinking of purchasing a prepaid local SIM card when I travel to Israel. I found out today that neither AT&T nor T-Mobile will allow the transmission of data on their prepaid SIM cards for foreigners traveling to the U.S. That got me wondering whether it would be the same with regard to foreign cellphone service providers. If so, then I can think of only two practical choices if I want to take advantage of inexpensive phone calls while overseas but still want to receive My data. These two choices are:

1. Purchase a cheap unlocked GSM phone to use for phonecalls where I install a local SIM card and sign up for the Verizon international roaming package to receive my data on my Blackberry utilizing my Ve...
(continues)
Joben

Sep 13, 2010, 2:31 PM
I would never assume that the local provider will not transmit the data...if for some reason they did, the charges on your bill would probably make you cry. There are ways to avoid data transmission for BB's, and your idea about Wifi is great. I would consult with VZW before making any concrete decisions.

That's my two-cents. 😉
OrionsVantage

Sep 17, 2010, 5:58 PM
I'm pretty sure option 2 will work.
deepc

Oct 22, 2010, 2:22 PM
T-Mo does have data plans on their pre-paid now so this would fix your issue.
I_Flogged_molly

Jan 2, 2011, 4:14 PM
prepay can not roam internationaly.
dadayk12

Sep 14, 2011, 7:40 PM
i have a better idea..

why not do both.. i have 2 options for you..

i mean. tmob is offering roaming for prepaid but limited to 5 countries.. unfortunately israel is not part of them.. so the option that you have is buy a regular phone for you to have something to use when you are outside a wifi service..

and when you are on a wifi area you can do wifi calling.. you can have you tmob sim inserted to your BB and use it for calling that will be deducted from your regular mins just like you are calling here in US while overseas.. also data service for wifi is free..

2. buy a local sim and have them configure the phone for you for data use. just make sure that the phone that you have is simsubsidy unlock..

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.