printed December 19, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=8&fi=2506158

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

Back to message list

Roaming overseas

by howardk111    Aug 24, 2010, 4:16 PM

I have a Blackberry Bold 9650 and was thinking of purchasing a prepaid local SIM card when I travel to Israel. I found out today that neither AT&T nor T-Mobile will allow the transmission of data on their prepaid SIM cards for foreigners traveling to the U.S. That got me wondering whether it would be the same with regard to foreign cellphone service providers. If so, then I can think of only two practical choices if I want to take advantage of inexpensive phone calls while overseas but still want to receive My data. These two choices are:

1. Purchase a cheap unlocked GSM phone to use for phonecalls where I install a local SIM card and sign up for the Verizon international roaming package to receive my data on my Blackberry utilizing my Verizon SIM card.

2. Install a local SIM card in my Blackberry to use for making phone calls. Then, download my data only over wifi. If I do this, do I need to shut off data on the phone until I'm in the wifi zone and am using the phone on wifi? I wouldn't think so, since I would do this only if the local SIM card would not support data transmission.

Does anyone have any comments or other ideas?

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.