Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Need an unlocking primer

shr

Feb 12, 2004, 10:55 AM
I am looking into buying a new phone and signing
up for AT&T wireless. I would like the ability to
use the phone in Europe as well (Italy, UK, Germany, France, etc.)

I don't understand all of the issues with regard to locked phones. Will AT&T help me unlock my phone? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an unlocked phone?

Thanks.
Rich Brome

Feb 12, 2004, 1:33 PM
If you get your phone from AT&T, it will come locked to AT&T. If it's a world phone, you will be able to use it overseas, but will be stuck with AT&T's international roaming rates for all calls.

With an unlocked phone, you could remove your AT&T SIM while in Europe and use a prepaid SIM for much cheaper per-minute rates. Of course, you're not reachable at your AT&T phone number with a prepaid SIM, so it's only good for outbound calls.

Some phones can be unlocked easily, others not so much. If you know from the get-go that you'll need an unlocked phone and don't mind paying full price for the phone, consider buying a phone that comes unlocked. Besides not having to worry about the unlocking process, you'll have a much larger selection o...
(continues)
pickrich

Feb 28, 2004, 11:47 PM
i want to get a sony ericsson t616. at&t offers a great deal, but i'd like an unlocked phone. i've thought about getting one from a third party, but i think it would be cheaper to get the locked t616 from at&t and unlock it using one of those t28 cables and proper software.

how does that work? would at&t get involved? it seems like they wouldn't be cool about it. anybody have experience unlocking locked phones? it seems real simple, but maybe i'm overlooking something.
carmenestra

Feb 29, 2004, 1:02 AM
I might be able to lead you into an unlocked v400 if you are still looking
Sleeping

Feb 29, 2004, 8:57 PM
pickrich said:
i want to get a sony ericsson t616. at&t offers a great deal, but i'd like an unlocked phone. i've thought about getting one from a third party, but i think it would be cheaper to get the locked t616 from at&t and unlock it using one of those t28 cables and proper software.

how does that work? would at&t get involved? it seems like they wouldn't be cool about it. anybody have experience unlocking locked phones? it seems real simple, but maybe i'm overlooking something.

I don't know how the software and cable works, but in general, any attempt at unlocking the phone comes with a risk of compltely ruining the phone for any sim card, even the original locked one. I don't think its a huge risk,...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.