Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Phone for USA, Japan, and Korea

Exoman

Oct 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm in Korea 3-4X per year and have always rented a phone at the airport. I believe Korea is CDMA, so my AT&T quad band GSM does not work and thus I cannot even retain my phone # with my SIM.

My AT&T contract is up and I've determined that Verizon seems to be the best choice with a Blackberry 8830 which does support CDMA. The store salesman claims it will work in Korea and suggests their 30 day trial to confirm. That's not good enough for me. I want confirmation NOW so I don't get to Korea and have to go through the hassle of renting at the airport. Anyone know?

If it's true that the BB 8830 works in Korea, it sure would be nice if AT&T had the same or similar phone so I could avoid migrating!!!

I've also been told that Japan an...
(continues)
Nadesico81

Oct 10, 2008, 6:27 AM
GSM is supported by a roaming agrement with ATT and a local mobile network. Call ATT C/S and they can give you the details.
llama

Oct 11, 2008, 6:57 PM
8830 will work in South Korea...Japan, no. The handset would need to be flashed at a VZW location with the Korean PRL.
iaiwc

Nov 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
Blackberry 8830 has CDMA/1900 freq and Korea has CDMA/1800 freq, it will not work there. If you go to http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internation al/roaming/international-roaming.jsp and in the pulldown menu go to Korea then click on details it'll give you a list of carriers, frequency and features supported with that carrier (phone,data,2-way sms etc)
papadoc

Feb 14, 2009, 11:43 AM
can you confirm that the 8830 will work in S>Korea? What did you mean by "flashed at a VZW location with the korean PRL..."???
That's ...korean to me ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks
iaiwc

Oct 17, 2008, 1:15 AM
The reason a quad-band phone won't work in Japan or S Korea is because they run on the 2100 frequency. I'm a At&t International Tech Support agent.
papadoc

Feb 14, 2009, 11:46 AM
tech support agent,
please tell me which phone to buy in the US for use in Korea?
llama

Feb 14, 2009, 7:13 PM
Before leaving the U.S.

EVDO Voice Devices
Dial *228 and select option 2 (to obtain an updated PRL).
Note: Must be completed prior to international travel (within a Verizon Wireless digital service area).

Non-EVDO Voice Devices
Dial *228 and select option 2 prior to having the manual flash process performed.
This updates the Verizon Wireless systems so the customer is on the latest PRL.
Reduces the risk of a PRL being pushed out to this device prior to a customer's travel.
Manually update with the South Korea PRL in Verizon Wireless Stores prior to roaming in South Korea.
Advise the customer to not change their calling plan prior to traveling, which could overwrite the manual South Korea PRL.
Note: Non-EVDO types of Bla...
(continues)
iaiwc

Feb 25, 2009, 2:18 AM
You need a device with either 2100 frequency or CDMA 1800 for S Korea. You can also check this information out wikipedia.com
Vox Dei

Feb 18, 2009, 2:42 PM
I know the BB storm has this and there is a treo that has this frequency.
ajlineman

Nov 13, 2008, 9:52 PM
I work for at&t and I know that roaming while in Korea is an option but I don't know about actual services located there. There is a databased spreadsheet of it at http://www.wireless.international.att.com. The whole reason I wanted to post is to warn you, if your going to stick with AT&T and will just be using the roaming feature and not getting service there in Korea make sure you have the roaming features (world connect make it cheapest) otherwise its like 2.49 per minute.
iaiwc

Nov 19, 2008, 4:06 AM
Actually AT&T doesn't offer discounted rate for roaming in S Korea, the rpm is 2.29. AT&T World Connect is for Long Distant dialing from the US to other Int'l Countries. You can check for device info by going to wireless.att.com, click explore tab>international>international roaming>wireless travel guide. Highlight S Korea and check for available devices that will work there. Do the same for Japan.
ajlineman

Nov 19, 2008, 4:33 PM
Actually if you go here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roam ... »

and click on JAPAN you will the that if you are IN japan you can get a discouted roaming rate from 2.29/minute to 1.69/minute with the World Traveler. This is a $5.99 international discount roam feature and applies to just that, ROAMING, not international long distance dialing.

Although you are correct that South Korea doesn't allow us to discount roaming rates at all so you're stuck with the 2.29 and wasting money on the world traveler.
Rich Brome

Nov 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
Verizon's Storm will work in both Japan and Korea, thanks to WCDMA 2100.
ajlineman

Nov 28, 2008, 4:55 PM
What kind of roaming agreements or charges are accrued with staying on their network while being over there though?
Rich Brome

Nov 28, 2008, 5:22 PM
Roaming charges outside of North America are always quite steep, but the original poster indicated a desire to keep their phone #. Roaming is your only option if you need to be reachable at your usual number. For anyone traveling on business, that's often quite important.

It is important to check with your carrier before each trip, to see what international roaming options are available. Often you can pay x amount per month for greatly discounted per-minute roaming rates. The plans to change occasionally. Most carriers let you sign up right before a trip and drop the add-on plan as soon as you return. If you only travel 3-4 times per year, that can save you some cash.
ajlineman

Nov 28, 2008, 5:42 PM
Yeah I hear that, they can be pretty steep. I work in CC at AT&T and we do this all the time, but I've had people above me bragging about roaming so I didn't think VZW or other carriers would let them drop features without penalization... good to know.
Do you know where to find VZW's roaming rates?
Rich Brome

Nov 28, 2008, 6:46 PM
On vzw.com, there's a link on the front page that says "International Services"
ajlineman

Nov 28, 2008, 7:17 PM
Thanks
I know we're going off topic here but do you (or anyone for that matter) know of a way to get discounted roaming rates with VZW?
I.E. The "World Connect" feature offered by AT&T will discount roaming and can be added or removed as desired.
iaiwc

Feb 25, 2009, 2:45 AM
For the record, I'm an AT&T international tech agent and "World Connect" is for calling from the US to other countries. There is no discount rpm for roaming in S Korea available, it is $2.29 per minute. Available devices from AT&T are: AT&T 8525 & Tilt, HTC Fuze, Samsung Epix & Blackjack II, BB Bold, iphone 3G, Sony Ericsson Z750a & LG Incite
andy2373

Nov 29, 2008, 12:07 PM
That's weird. Because according to ATT's website they do offer roaming in Japan & S. Korea.
And from the reviews I wouldn't switch carriers just for the BB Storm.
And whats with the VZW agent telling you that you've got 30 days to make sure the phone will work in Korea? ๐Ÿคจ
Let me jump on a plane just to make sure this phone will work across the pond...NOT! ๐Ÿ˜ก
VZW should know weather what there selling will work and where.

Another option would to buy you're own unlocked phone and purchase a SIM card from somewhere like 'Max Roam' or something like that. Then just forward your phone to that new number while your in Asia. That way you get a local number for where your at, that way not incurring long distance or roaming charges.
Hop...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.