Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Phone for use in US and Japan

Stupid Customer

Jul 1, 2008, 11:29 PM
Recomendations for friend taking 20 day trip to Japan, currently uses att and a palm os treo, besides the tilt, unlocked or att branded. Something decent, he goes to college, so he'd like something to alternate between school and play. Thank you in advance.
tkboxer

Jul 3, 2008, 8:42 AM
I did a little research into this just out of curiosity and here is what I discovered.
1) Japan does not offer prepaid sim cards.
2) You have to have a 3G phone in Japan.
3) Their 3G frequencies run on WCDMA 1900 and 2100 frequencies.

It would appear that any recent AT&T 3G phone with the 1900 frequency band would work in Japan however you would need to verify that with AT&T as well as the data and voice rates you will pay to use your AT&T phone in Japan.
You may wish to inquire whether the new 3G iphone will work in Japan. It could be your phone solution.

Maybe others on this forum that travel to Japan could shed more information for you, but anyway this is what I found about the subject. Hope it helps and enjoy the trip.
Fredd

Aug 26, 2008, 10:59 AM
I believe that Japan operates primarily on the 2100mHz band. Need a phone that operates in that band range. Compatible ones are:
iPhone
Sony Ericsson Z750a
Samsung Blackjack II
AT&T (HTC) Tilt
TREO 750
Nadesico81

Sep 23, 2008, 2:57 AM
SoftBank Japan supports phones in the 1800/900Mhz bands in most major areas. I go to Japan all the time and my Vodafone roams onto SoftBank. The phone may also say Vodafone JP depending on the handset and the area.

The SoftBank shop at Narita does sell Sim cards for use in japan but it has to be returned before you leave.
iaiwc

Oct 17, 2008, 1:08 AM
I am an At&t Int'l Tech and I can tell you that there's only 2 countries in the world that quad-band phones won't work, Japan & S Korea, they run on 2100 frequency. There's 2 other phones you can add to the list At&t 8525 & iphone 3G, the Treo 750
stinkercole

Sep 30, 2008, 11:38 AM
If its just a trip I would just use the prepaid international calling cards...its alot cheaper then buying a new phone, and international roaming feature on your plan.
ajlineman

Nov 20, 2008, 5:11 PM
Using the calling cards on the international network will still charge you roaming because your phone is still connecting to their towers and you are still roaming.
freehome

Oct 22, 2009, 2:23 AM
Take a look on this phone:
http://buynow.theunet.com/T3-Quad-band-FM-Dual-Sim-S ... »

I've bought one already like this.
llama

Oct 22, 2009, 5:41 PM
You do realize this post is over a year old, right?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.