Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 21 replies

verizon phone with interational sim card

jsandidge

Jan 21, 2008, 6:48 PM
I am trying to find a phone that will accept international pre-paid sim cards and also work on the verizon network. I use verizon while in usa, but have a seperate phone while traveling. Does anyone know of 1 phone that will do both?
chocolateman85006

Jan 22, 2008, 9:53 AM
The Blackberry 8830, I believe, has that ability.
howardk111

Jan 22, 2008, 6:55 PM
The Mortorola z6c will, although Verizon has yet to release the subsidy unlock codes.
howardk111

Feb 9, 2008, 4:02 PM
Verizon is now releasing the subsidy unlock codes for the z6c. This will enable use of inexpensive third party SIMs while traveling in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
SoCalVDub

Jan 25, 2008, 11:20 AM
You will never use Verizons network internationally as Asia and Europe are all GSMz in comparison to the CDMA networks. But it would be interesting to see a Monopoly in such. 👀
dsweeney

Apr 7, 2010, 9:03 AM
Wrong. There are some phones that allow both.
biggysmallz81

Jan 25, 2008, 2:03 PM
verizon phones don't use a sim card but you can get the International Rate added to your service. My boss's daughter was in India for 3 weeks and she used the Blackberry 8830. She had service in almost all areas. However it was very very spotty when she arrived in Rome. I think that'll be your best bet.
bones boy

Jan 25, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have had many of VZW's global phones (Moto a840, Samsung A790, and the Crackberry 8830) and the GSM side is always locked to the Vodaphone SIM that they come with. I have never been able to get a subsidy code out of our corporate VZW reps. So I assume that VZW won't provide the subsidy code that would allow you to use your prepaid SIMs.
dalily21

Jan 25, 2008, 11:27 PM
as far as i know the only device that can be used that way is the 8830. you would have to go thru the global support team and they can unlock the device with you agreeing that you will be responsible for the other carriers charges, in this case your prepaid provider
Rich Brome

Feb 23, 2008, 2:41 PM
Verizon offers a handful of phones that support GSM for overseas use, including the BlackBerry 8830, Motorola Z6c, and Samsung i830.

They are all SIM locked, though. They do technically have a SIM card slot, but it won't accept your own (prepaid) SIM cards.

More info here:

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/globa ... »
howardk111

Feb 23, 2008, 5:40 PM
This isn't true with regard to the Blackberry and the Z6c. Motorola is giving out the unlock codes for these phones so that local prepaid SIMS other than Verizon's can be used in them.
Rich Brome

Feb 23, 2008, 9:58 PM
Interesting if true about the Z6c.

Motorola doesn't make BlackBerrys, though... 😕
howardk111

Feb 25, 2008, 8:50 AM
You're right, RIM makes BlackBerries. I misspoke. I meant to say that the unlock codes are being given out by Verizon for both these phones. In the case of the Z6c, I know it for a fact because I have one and Verizon has given me the unlock code and it appears to work, although I've yet to take the phone overseas.
iogle

Aug 27, 2008, 8:34 PM
Im new to this indecipherable site, and have no idea how to ask a damn question without answering someone. I'd love to know how you all were able to ask, but in the meantime, I'll just ask here, and hope that you or someone will know the answer.

The Motorola Z6c has "no standard audio jack"?! So, what does it have? Can I not use a non-bluetooth, wired earphone? I can't find that spec anywhere! Thanks a bunch!
jsandidge

Feb 26, 2009, 9:15 PM
I know this is a late reply. I use a wired earphone on my z6c everyday. I bought the Music essentials pack from Verizon. The earphones plug into the charing jack.
andy2373

Mar 9, 2009, 12:43 PM
VZW has a couple dual band phones (CDMA/GSM). I would find one on E-Bay that has the GSM side unlocked. Or someone who's selling the unlock codes.
Just make sure you are familiar with the particular phone to manually switch it to GSM and power cycle it when you get to the country your going to.
Or if your made of money just get the BB Storm and throw an international package on top of it. 😳
mikey1700

Feb 16, 2010, 7:10 PM
The last reply to this post is almost 1 year old and IM sure there are updates, IM looking for a verizon phone where I can put my local SIM card in while In SE Asia.
thanks!!!
Craigory

Mar 20, 2010, 1:18 PM
well, Verizon's phone line up only work on CDMA technology. In SE Asia, GSM phones will work just fine, T-mobile & AT&T. so its either one of those two or none. OR just buy an unlocked phone off the web and you will be good to go, but just forget about verizon and international sim cards.
Tweeks

Mar 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
yeah no way
Menno

Apr 15, 2010, 6:35 PM
Any verizon phone with gsm roaming capabilities will work. Once you activate the phone on your verizon account, call global support (number in box) and they will give you sim unlock code so you can pop your own in
patricklbc

Apr 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm you can use Verizon for long distance calls and pay hefty charges or you can check out http://www.callarc.com - word they are offering free international calls
Menno

Apr 21, 2010, 1:22 PM
Actually, since most smartphones now run skype, international calling is dirt cheap.

But thank you spam bot.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.