Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Sprint Phone for International Use

daranj

Sep 24, 2007, 4:24 PM
I'm due to upgrade with Sprint and wanted to get a phone that would have some international capabilities. The Blackberry 8830 keeps getting pushed, but I'd like to know if others would be just as capable where I travel.

I travel to Europe (France and Germany), Asia (China, S. Korea, and Japan), and Brazil. Not so concerned about Japan, but would like to know recommendations.

Thanks
wombough

Oct 16, 2007, 1:47 PM
that and the htc are the only true world phones that sprint offers the last time I checked. You have to make sure you get a sim card and activate international roaming!
spazebar

Oct 18, 2007, 10:43 PM
Currently we only offer the 8830 or the Samsung ip-830 wich is only available through our international roaming department. Either way international roaming is gonna cost you an arm and a leg expect about $2/min.
Yean

Oct 19, 2007, 9:14 PM
The Samsung ip-830 is offered in retail as well. Sprint is going to do a re-launch of the phone. According to Sprint's manager Playbook.
mrcamp

Oct 25, 2007, 11:49 AM
Most people with spring I know that travel internationally have an unlocked GSM phone for that purpose. The 8830 looks like a good device, as long as the GSM part is unlocked (so that you can get a local sim). If not, you will be paying through the roof.
Yean

Oct 25, 2007, 1:07 PM
8830's GSM portion is unlocked for other bands outside the U.S.
efparri

Oct 29, 2007, 7:30 PM
Yean

Oct 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks efparri, I'm familiar with Sprint, I'm a corp. Sprint rep. Thank you for sharing with me and everyone in the forums. 😉
mxmarcus

Jan 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
Actually there is Samsung i325 (BlackJack II Sprint version) coming out mid-February.

I'm in the same case (US, Europe, Africa) but don't want to deal with BB 8830. I'm very familiar with Microsoft environment and can't wait for the phone. For me IP-830 is too bulky.

Sprint is always very good at unlocking the international phones.

For now I have a spare GSM (Motorola MPx220) phone for travel, and decided to upgrade to a PDA with Sprint. Can't wait for I-325 to be out. 😉
mansf

Nov 15, 2007, 9:39 PM
I had major problems with a Sprint BB 8830 in the UK. The dedicated UK Sprint Customer support number did not work either! I ended up making 5 calls from a landline in the UK back to Sprint USA before I could get data working. Sprint credited me 2 months service, but it was still a major pain
NaCH

Dec 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
I have had mostly positive uses with bb 8830 customers. Seems to work fine everywhere. Of course yrmv
mo102

Dec 20, 2007, 8:59 AM
thats what I am talking about yes sir
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 9, 2008, 2:02 PM
Sprint's Samsung ACE.
erinthetechgeek

May 30, 2008, 3:03 PM
Or you might consider temporarily going with a Nextel phone for international use, such as the i930, it's pretty simple now to flipflop between the networks.
ac4321

Jun 1, 2008, 2:39 PM
erinthetechgeek said:
Or you might consider temporarily going with a Nextel phone for international use, such as the i930, it's pretty simple now to flipflop between the networks.

^^ don't do that. I've never met a customer who told me they loved or even liked their i930. For the cost of it, there are much better options.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.