Phone Scoop

printed October 24, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=8&fi=1390594

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

Back to message list

Replying to:  Phone suggestions for use worldwide by starforsaken   Sep 24, 2007, 10:45 PM

Re: Phone suggestions for use worldwide

by CB    Sep 26, 2007, 6:50 AM

First--I am NOT an expert, but I travel internationally and I have some thoughts.

It is not a cheap device, but you could take a look at the Nokia N80 Internet Edition. I'm not sure about the gps, but the rest of the specs fit your wish list.

This is considered "end of life" and it is in the process of being replaced by a new version. The good news--if you find one the price should have dropped to a more comfortable level.

The wifi works great and the screen display is stunning.

I don't know if it works with Skype (it may not, or it may need certain software) but it does work with two Skype-like products. I suggest you get online and research both Truphone and Gizmo. The Nokia N80ie is a supported devide for both and you can make calls through the voip function for pennies. There is also the possibility of "renting" a US number so that your family and friends can dial that at no cost to them, and reach you when you are around the world.

These two programs work with a number of higher end N and E series Nokia phones. Given the length of time you will be away, it is worth a look.

One last note--this phone has a 3 mp camera--I believe this nuumber will actually drop on the replacement N81.

Good luck and happy travels...

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.