Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Phone suggestions for use worldwide

starforsaken

Sep 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hello all. I am travelling to Thailand (and surrounding area) for a month then following to Australia for about half a year. I am looking for a phone with the following qualities:

Camera at least 3 megapixels
GSM usable
quad band
gps
wifi

The reason i want wifi is because this would mean could connect to any internet hotspot, and call for free via a program such as skype, correct? Also, if using wifi any data transmitted I would not be charged for. If for some reason that is the case, let me know what i'm misinformed about. Thanks all.
StoreLead

Sep 25, 2007, 10:00 PM
i'm not sure about any phones in the US that have a 3MP camera right now, but everything else is covered with the Samsung IP-830. kinda spendy though. i'm wanting to say it's 1.3, or 2MP camera.
bucky3d3

Feb 11, 2008, 1:39 PM
ALMOST ANY PHONES CAN BE UNLOCK OR UNBLOCK....

QUESTION ASKED - CAN YOU BUY A PHONE TO BE USED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, "YES" - IT IS COMMON USE EVERYWHERE BUT THE USA - IN MY TRAVELS TO EUROPE, I BUY MY PHONES OVER THERE FOR MY FRIENDS AS WELL AS MYSELF. I JUST PURCHASE THE MOTOROLA K1-KZAR FROM PHONE WAREHOUSE IN LONDON.
IT IS UNLOCKED AN ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SLIP THAT COUNTRY'S SIM CARD IN AND IT WORKS ON ANY CARRIER NETWORK. I HAVE T-MOBILE IN THE USA AND PRE-PAID IN UK, AND OTHER PARTS OF EUPOPE. IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY WHILE TRAVELING ABROAD ANYWHERE, JUST DROP A QUESTION AND I WILL RETURN A SUGGESTION
drnappy

Feb 26, 2008, 4:40 PM
We are going to be cruising on the Mediterranean later this year(about 10 different cities) and would like to have cell and internet access on our phones. We use Verizon here in the US but would like to have one phone that does everything if its possible. Any suggestons?
CB

Sep 26, 2007, 6:50 AM
First--I am NOT an expert, but I travel internationally and I have some thoughts.

It is not a cheap device, but you could take a look at the Nokia N80 Internet Edition. I'm not sure about the gps, but the rest of the specs fit your wish list.

This is considered "end of life" and it is in the process of being replaced by a new version. The good news--if you find one the price should have dropped to a more comfortable level.

The wifi works great and the screen display is stunning.

I don't know if it works with Skype (it may not, or it may need certain software) but it does work with two Skype-like products. I suggest you get online and research both Truphone and Gizmo. The Nokia N80ie is a supported devide for both and yo...
(continues)
wirelessad

Oct 12, 2007, 8:21 PM
if you like pda's at all i would recommend the blackberry 8830 world edition, it works in about 140 countries and is somewhat reasonable...
Inasad

Oct 14, 2007, 10:15 PM
how about the htc tilt it is supposed to have all the things you mentioned and it seems pretty cool.
frank09

Mar 20, 2008, 6:46 PM
GSM is the most used phones all around the world.CDMA is mainly USA based but some other countries use it too. For using your phone in Australia and thailand you better use any GSM phone. The features you asked for can only be found together in N80 and N95. There are some other phones as well which are quad band but some features might lack eg.-wifi/camera(3megapixel)
mikemck

Mar 27, 2008, 10:19 AM
whats my best options for a cell phone while in europe just need it t be able to call and recieve calls from the usa, can i switch my usa cell # to a phone i buy in europe or should i just see if verizon can switch my plan to overseas, any suggestions thanks
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 6:57 PM
Do a google search for "unlocked gsm" and buy a quad-band phone. Tiger Direct is a great source.

You may not switch your US number to another country's provider.

I am not familliar with verizon's international roaming rates, but I am inclined to say you would be better off using an overseas provider.
mikemck

Mar 28, 2008, 10:34 AM
if i buy an unlocked gsm from tiger direct how do i get service for the phone or do i get prepaid, thanks
mikemck

Mar 29, 2008, 8:30 AM
whats the difference from a quad band and a tri band will a tri band gsm work for europe to the usa
I AM GOD

Mar 30, 2008, 2:38 PM
They will only work so-so in the US, better on t-mob usa. Tri-band phones that do not have gsm 850 will not work on most of ATT's netork or be able to roam with tmob. Getting a quad-band nokia, sony-ericsson or blackberry would be your best bet because when you put your sim in one of those phones, they will configure to the carriers data network, where motorolas and samsungs would need manual adjusting. The most cost-effective way to do what you are trying to do is to get prepaid service in europe, and when you come back to the states, start up service here.
mikemck

Mar 31, 2008, 7:55 AM
if i buy a quad band nokia with and att sim card from ebay, will any sim card i buy work, then i just need a prepaid calling card to the us, does that sound right, thanks for all your input i am god
I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
The Nokia from ebay must be unlocked..... Be very careful with ebay. If you already got the phone from ebay and it is locked, let me know and I may be able to assist you in unlocking it. As long as it is unlocked, any sim you buy overseas will work in it, and then call away. In your shoes, I would stay on the safe side, get a nice unlocked phone and use it when you get back with T-mob or att.
I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
Let me know how it goes.
SpanishBeauty2_3

Apr 4, 2008, 1:23 PM
what carrier do you currently have? because with nextel you can rent them for international calling and its really not that much of a cost. let me know.
I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 2:19 PM
The Roaming rates charged by American carriers is way more than what you would pay over there.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.