Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Buying a phone in the US for use in Europe

ziphnor

Jul 29, 2007, 7:27 PM
Im currently on holiday in the US and Canada and was wondering if it would make sense to buy a cell phone to bring back to Europe (since electronics are generally quite a bit cheaper in the US).

Im mostly interested in phones similar to the iPhone in functionality, that is with good internet browsing functionality and a video/music player. As these phones are usually quite expensive, im thinking that the savings will be worth it.

So basically i would like to know if there are any major hindrances. For example:

1. Can you buy a phone unlocked without a subscription etc?

2. Will it be as easy as just putting my old SIM-card into the new phone?

Can you buy phones in the US supporting UMTS
(or do you only get EDGE)?

I...
(continues)
NecrisHacker

Aug 18, 2007, 9:04 PM
1 Yes
2 If the handset is unlocked, then yes. Voice services should work without any issues. Data ones may be a bit tricky unless you can configure the data side to work with your particular European wireless carrier.
3 You can buy UMTS unlocked handsets as well as EDGE ones.
4 You may be able to do so from an independent wireless handset insurance company. Many home owners insurance policy cover electronic devices like a cellular handset.
5 Try googling for one.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.