Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Bringing a phone from Japan

Asher3

Jul 8, 2007, 12:42 PM
I live in the US and really want a phone from Japan, but nothing I have researched is even remotely new or conclusive.

I have US Cellular right now which is a CDMA carrier, but I am willing to switch over to AT&T for GSM if I must, but my question: is this even possible to do? Can I bring a phone from Japan and put it to a service here in the US?

Thanks
paddyoc

Jul 8, 2007, 4:13 PM
Yes, provided it supports the frequency(s) that are used by AT&T.
Cellfoneslinger

Jul 8, 2007, 5:56 PM
Actually the only phone available in the US that will work in Japan is the 8525 with ATT. The reason is that in Japan they run their 3.5g (wcdma, umts, hsdpa or whatever you want to call it) on different frequencies. The 8525 runs on umts/hsdpa 2100mhz so it will work in Japan. Otherwise you can rent a phone.
lisakay96

Jul 19, 2007, 1:24 PM
🙄 Actually the 8525 is not the only phone that will work in japan, there is a nokia e61 & the palm treo 750 that will work as well 🙂 & this goes for south koreas as well
wombough

Jul 8, 2007, 11:23 PM
I have to ask why? One thier phones are bilingual however its still a japanese phone and some things you need to be able to read japanesse. two their phones are not that impressive. Trust me I am in Japan right nw. Nothing impressive at all. Call quality is a little better on WCDMA then GSM in my opionion. But thats it. Thier data is fast depending were you live. Toyko is like 1.5 megs a sec for 3g. And here at fuji its like 200kbs for 3g. Yes they will work in the states as softbank and AU have roaming agrements with cingular. But again why? Also I will check but I believe all the wcdma phones sold here are locked to a specific carrier.
JimmyTaliban

Jul 9, 2007, 3:03 AM
Dude you are an idiot.

I live in Japan, and I don't need to know a drop of Japanese to use my phone. Secondly, not that impressive?

Here is what my free phone from Soft Bank contains (Toshiba 813T):
3.24 MP Camera/Camcorder
MP3 player
MicroSD slot
QR code reader (I scan a barcode with my phone and it will take me directly to a website)
IrDA
Full internet browsing capabilities
And all the other small things that normally come with a phone.

Heres a link for you, impressive indeed.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/product/lineup/3g/index. ... »
wombough

Jul 9, 2007, 6:27 AM
thanks I have softbank. And like I said I don't find them that impressive to were I would want it in the states. Thats my opinion. They do have some nice phones but nothing I would have to have.MP3 is slandered almost in the states anymore, Miro SD card also, I can care less about scanning a barcode and go to a website, I had full internet browsing in the states, so yeah not that impressive to me.
JimmyTaliban

Jul 10, 2007, 2:29 AM
The sh*tty part is that the OP wont be able to use videocalling if they bring a phone from Japan. That is just fun.

What softbank phone are you using?
wombough

Jul 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
samsung 707scII

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.