Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Unlocked + Prepaid SIM cards in Eastern Europe

nymjk

Jan 31, 2007, 4:42 PM
One thing I don't understand about using an unlocked phone with prepaid cards (I should be so lucky as to only not understand one thing! 😲 ), anyway....

I'm traveling around Europe later this spring and wanted to know if the card that I purchase at my first destination (Warsaw) will be usable at the various other places I'll be visiting (Vienna, Prague), which are, of course, all in different countries and which all have different providers.

Thanks for any info!
raycarroll70

Jan 31, 2007, 8:46 PM
It's really going to depend on whether or not the Polish GSM wireless carrier has roaming agreement with the other European wireless carriers like the one in Austria. The benefit of having an unlocked GSM handset is you can just pop in one European wireless carrier's prepaid SIM while in one country and pop in another prepaid SIM of a different wireless carrier using the same handset.
nymjk

Feb 1, 2007, 10:36 AM
Gotcha and Thanks.
The next questions that come to mind then are (1) how the pricing of these cards is denominated -- i mean there is obviously a monetary value but how is number of minutes determined? does a, say, 10euro card give you 30 minutes of talk time?
(2) what happens when the card runs out of time, does your call get cut off?
(3) does each card had a discrete phone # so that one is able to accept calls?
(4) if so, are incoming calls charged differently?

Thanks in advance for any help!
jigsawman

Mar 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
One thing I do remember about Poland is that
they count your time in seconds and not in
minutes like we do here in the States. I also know that their rates are pretty expensive.
I'm pretty sure that Deutche Telecom owns some of Era and Orange owns a bit of another polish
tele company so one would think that you would be able to roam in other select countries but
who knows?? good luck!!
SiestaRandy

Apr 3, 2007, 2:37 PM
Another thing to point out is that only outgoing calls are charged to you. America is the only place that charges you for incomming AND outgoing.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.