Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Buying a Phone for Peru (South America)

JimmyGlen

Dec 19, 2003, 7:01 PM
I was wondering if I could buy used phones here and then sell them in South America?

I would also like one for a family friend who lives there.

Does anyone know what kinds of phones to buy or what phones to avoid. I am not going to start a big company but I would like to take a couple of phones down there on each trip.

Thanks
Jim
Rich Brome

Dec 20, 2003, 3:30 PM
Peru has pretty much the same technology mix and same frequencies as the U.S., so you'll find GSM, CDMA, and TDMA networks down there.

TIM is GSM 1900 (like T-Mobile USA)

Telefonica Movistar is CDMA 800 (like Verizon Wireless)

BellSouth is TDMA 800 (like Cingular)

As usual, the easiest phones to sell are GSM, so I would suggest finding GSM 1900 phones here and selling them to TIM customers down there.
motopaulie

Mar 17, 2004, 7:28 PM
Mr. Brome,
remember that Bell South has sold all his carriers in latin america, which were bought by Telefonica, from Spain, and its wireless unit, Movistar.
Rich Brome

Mar 17, 2004, 7:50 PM
"remember"? 😕

I mean... yes, but that was very recently... you're replying to something I wrote way back in December when that had not happened yet. And, just like Cingular buying AT&T, it will take some time for that transaction to complete.
motopaulie

Mar 18, 2004, 11:31 AM
oh, sorry... hadn' seen it 😲
PeruTraveler

Mar 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've noticed Nextel in Lima. If I have a Nextel account here in the states, will it be the same in Peru. Same phone, same or simular plan down there???

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.