Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

darwin_l

Dec 17, 2003, 5:16 AM
I am thinking to purchase a GSM (tri-band or quad-band) phone mostly for domestic (US) use. But when I travel overseas once a while, I want to be able to get a local SIM card with lower calling rates. I was wondering if I can buy an unlocked GSM phone from a major US carries such as T-mobile or Cingula with their national plans -- something cost about $40/month. Or if they don't sell unlocked phones, can I purchase one elsewhere and sign up their plans? Anyone has tried that or have a better idea? 🙂
Rich Brome

Dec 17, 2003, 12:41 PM
Cingular sometimes sells unlocked GSM phones, but it's hit-or-miss - some models are unlocked at first, then later batches are locked.

If you want a nice phone, get it from a third party (unlocked from the start, paying full price) and then when you sign up for service, just get the cheapest phone you can (usually free or even money back). Put the SIM in the unlocked phone and you're set.

If you sign up with Cingular, you'll need GSM 800(850), so you'll probably want a quad-band model.
Ed_K

Jan 3, 2004, 9:15 PM
I have been looking for GSM phone, for international and USA local service - with option to use multiple SIM cards. It would be USA business number at home. I would like to have option of a "non USA local" number when I am out of USA for extended time as courtesy to "local" customers. I just learned about locked/unlocked - and my local GSM service options are limited.

Today I talked with T-mobile rep on 800 #. Their GSM phones are locked for 6 months, then they will unlock. The rep was knowledgeable, suggested that if I cannot wait 6 months, buy a third party unlocked phone and sign up for local service with cheapest/free GSM phone - switch SIM card. They did say cannot be 100% sure this will work with phone from another source.

Not s...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jan 3, 2004, 10:54 PM
The T-Mobile rep gave you good advice.

T-Mobile is the easiest to shop for when it comes to unlocked world phones. Unlike AT&T and Cingular, with T-Mobile you don't have to worry about GSM 850, so any tri-band GSM phone will do, and there are plenty to choose from. If it has the right bands - 900/1800/1900 - it will work.

With AT&T and Cingular, you really need a quad-band phone for the best coverage and rates around the world.
coowguy

Jan 6, 2004, 7:06 PM
Actually...the proper policy for a SIM unlock request is that you have to have 3 mo of service, not 6 and then you can request a new SIM unlock once every 6 mo after it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.