Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

I want a European phone (whine)

Valid8r

Jul 4, 2004, 4:40 PM
Sorry in advance if I am making someone repeat already answered questions...

I have a T-Mobile GSM phone with a US based service plan. I use it a lot in Europe and the US. However, I want to buy a new phone in Europe (alright, I confess a "cooler" phone). What I really want to do is take out my SIM and just pop it into a new phone in Europe and have T-mobile just treat it as my regular phone?

Why is this not possible? Does it have to do with the "locking" threads I've read about?

I went into a phone shop last week in France, asked them the same question and they were all curious too. We popped out my SIM and put it in another phone. When we booted the phone, it prompted us for a code (which I do not have)??? Is this the "lock...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jul 5, 2004, 4:24 PM
You can, you just need an unlocked phone.

The lock you're concerned with is in the phone, not the SIM. So when you tried last week, what you encountered was a phone that was most likely locked so it would only work with SIMs for a specific French carrier (Orange, SFR, etc.) That carrier had the unlock code to that phone, but of course they would never give it to you. There are other shops where you could have bought an unlocked phone.

The easier way is to just buy the phone online. If it's available in shops in France, then you can also buy it online (unlocked) and have it shipped to you here in the U.S.

What phone are you looking for? If it's a world phone, then it should be listed on this site, and there's usually a "buy this phon...
(continues)
dadyassa

Aug 31, 2004, 7:46 AM
Like ritch said, If the phone is unlocked it should take any sim.
Loads of unlocked phones are now available in Europe, including all the latest models, or cool as you put it.
Here is a link to one of the best phone unlocking sites, although its UK, it covers all countries.

http://unlockme.co.uk/unlockme.html »

regards john

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.