Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Prepaid spain: studying U of Seville for semester

dtsm

Jun 13, 2004, 8:20 PM
I'm off to U of Seville for overseas study and have an unlocked GSM tri-band phone...so all I need is a Spanish SIM card. I will need to access for 4-5 months.

I know there are three different carriers available. Any recommendations based on following usage patterns:

1. Will probably receive in-coming calls from mom and dad from the states -- are in coming calls free or is there a charge.

2. Occasional overseas international call home (New York area).

3. Not sure who I'll be calling -- probably my host family and fellow students (they probably will have same questions and use of the same three carriers).
dadyassa

Jun 28, 2004, 12:11 PM
You will find telefonicas moviestar the most popular network and maybe the cheapest... 🙂
They are all dear in Spain. 😢

Incoming calls are free.

Maybe cheaper to use callbox at internet cafes than mobile to phone USA, there are lots about.

Its always cheaper to call the same network, so try and all get moviestar simcards.

Good luck john.
saiguanas

Aug 19, 2004, 10:40 AM
Let me know how it works out. I was in Spain six months this year and loved it but I never bought a phone....should have. Now I have a Motorola v400 from cingular. It's quad band so that's really cool but I'm interested in how it works out for you. Cingular has told me different stories. One says I can't use the Spanish sims and have to use their international roaming and another says "sure no problem". They have the same deals we have here where you sign a contract and get a phone virtually free but if you're not going to be there for the year it doesn't help. On a personal note I'm sure you'll spend some time at the Catedral Club like most of the American students. Warning: It get's really packed. While there be sure to visit Ronda, Ubriqu...
(continues)
cai

Sep 2, 2004, 2:44 PM
Just got back from Spain where I inquired with a reseller about rates and sim cards. What is cheaper seems to depend on how much calling you want to do. I used the T-Mobile international roaming plan since I did not need to be called either from the US or from Spain - the cost is $0.99/minute. If one is going to be there for only a few days or weeks, the way to go is to buy a calling card - you cannot be called if you opt to go this way.

If you have an unlocked telephone, and it definitely needs to be unlocked, you can buy a sim card from Movistar, for about 60 euros, and you are good for inside Spain - you can make and receive calls. I do not know the cost per call is for international calls.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.