Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Prepaid in Europe

wldthng842

May 16, 2004, 9:58 PM
I am going to Europe for two weeks in June and would like a prepaid phone for while i am there. Does anyone know who is the cheapest and how much they are?
stratman

May 24, 2004, 7:21 AM
Sorry, wish I could help ya. Maybe check out Vodaphone or T-mobile.
Miguelito

May 25, 2004, 9:44 AM
I just got back from Germany last week and I saw prepaid kits (phone and prepaid SIM) for as little as 60 Euros. Both T-Mobile (Extra Kit) or Vodafone (Call Ya) were available at phone stores, camera shops, and at discount electronics stores such as Quelle and Media Markt.

If you're going to England first however, you might be better off buying there as the user manual will be in English (a BIG Plus, unless you read German)!

You may also need to give them a local address to sign up for the prepaid so if you have any friends in the area it would help to be able to use their address (my fiancee is German and we used her parents address).

Note that although I window-shopped phones and kits, we only bought a prepaid SIM (both my fiance...
(continues)
cai

May 25, 2004, 10:26 AM
Miguelito:
This is a very comprehensive report about this issue. I have one question though, on the last paragraph you say: "I don't believe that an unlocked phone will be usable with a Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile Deutschland) SIM...", did you mean to say "locked" instead of "unlocked". In other words, a USA t-Mobile locked telephone was not sure to work with t-Mobile in Germany, even though they are the same company and one buys a German chip - the USA lock prevents it from working anywhere else.

Please let me know, as I am going to Spain this summer and am in need of a telephone.

Thank you.
Miguelito

May 25, 2004, 2:05 PM
cai said:
Miguelito:
This is a very comprehensive report about this issue. I have one question though, on the last paragraph you say: "I don't believe that an unlocked phone will be usable with a Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile Deutschland) SIM...", did you mean to say "locked" instead of "unlocked". In other words, a USA t-Mobile locked telephone was not sure to work with t-Mobile in Germany, even though they are the same company and one buys a German chip - the USA lock prevents it from working anywhere else.

Please let me know, as I am going to Spain this summer and am in need of a telephone.

Thank you.

Yes, sorry - I meant to say "locked" - locking the phone precludes you from using another car...
(continues)
cai

May 25, 2004, 3:06 PM
Thank you. Your explanations address the questions I have had regarding telephones abroad.
dadyassa

Jun 28, 2004, 12:21 PM
As long as your phone is unlocked, you can just buy a pay as u go simcard almost anywhere in Spain, also with English instructions.
Good luck john in Spain 😎 😎

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.