Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

is it possible for me to get a phone from south korea and use it here in the US?

mpjk

Nov 1, 2005, 9:58 PM
as you know, korean cellphone companies come up with the most (well, in my opinion) high technological cellphones. and i got an opportunity from a relative of mine who is currently visiting south korea that he'd buy me one of those really high tech cellphones from there and send it so i can use it. but i'm not really sure if i can do that or not. all south korea phones are cdma. i don't really know what that means but i heard that it matters.

i also heard that you need a sim card to activate your phone. which wireless network uses simcards? i know verizon doesn't.

ahhh,, this whole "using a cellphone from a different country" is kinda stressing. BUT i really want to clarify my question because the phone is HOT 8D

thanks for reading ...
(continues)
Ask The Shack

Nov 1, 2005, 10:48 PM
SIM cards are only for GSM providers. As far as activating a Korean Cellular Phone over here, good luck. With Sprint, you can't. There system won't even allow you to activate a non-Sprint phone (let alone foreign phone) on there network.

The only other national choice is with verizon. I don't have experience with this, but i heard it can be done (at least with other US CDMA phones). If you are able to activate it, you probably wont be able to use any of those nifty data features on Verizons network because of different encryption, and use of applications needed.

One last thing, I'm not sure, but i think that South Korea uses a different frequency. If this is true, this dissucion is moot, because it won't even pick up any CDMA network o...
(continues)
tomorrowfactory

Nov 3, 2005, 12:20 AM
IT IS POSSIBLE. IT MUST BE A SKtelecom Phone and SKYs and Some samsungs are recommended. However, It is hard to activate because you are activating them illegally. The ESNs on the phones are not on the verizon's database. from the new policy from the FCC, Verizon cannot activate phones that does not have E911 feature. I believe that the stores activates the Korean phones by reprogramming the ESN. Basically, Bleach the Korean phone's ESN and program verizon phone's ESN. I heard that Verizon are not able to know what you have done to the phone but if you turn on both phones at the same time they will terminate your account.
Ask The Shack

Nov 3, 2005, 12:30 AM
Who cares about the ESN? that shouldn't matter that much, unless they are using a different numbering convention. Do you have a link for this FCC thing? I just thought that a ESN is some arbitrary number that was given by the manufacturer (after the manufacturer code)

Another thing, why wouldn't a Korea phone have some form of LBS? I'm sure that they have some form of E911 (I'm sure that it's not compatible with the AGPS that verizon uses, but it might because they are both CDMA). Any info on this?

To my knowledge tho, I thought that the only US CDMA carrier that white-listed ESNs was sprint.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.