Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Best Source for Unlocked Phones?

spirit22

Sep 21, 2005, 9:38 PM
I'm in the market for my first (please be kind) cell and it must be one that I can easily use overseas. After a week of reading the threads on this board I've come to the following conclusions that my criteria should be:

1. A quad band phone
2. An unlocked phone
3. A Nokia most likely

That said it seems my options are very limited based on what is avaialable on the market. For all the globe trotters (and anyone that considers themselves an expert on the topic) can you please recommend any phones I might consider? Futhermore, is anyone familiar with a good third party carrier that sells unlocked phones?

Note, I'm very open to other options so please feel free to e-mail me privately if you hav...
(continues)
PolarIce

Sep 21, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hey,
I have found the best source for an unlocked phone is eBay. There are several websites that offer unlocked phones, but the price is usually inflated.
For real, try eBay.
mrcamp

Sep 22, 2005, 12:47 PM
Moto V551 and V330 are quad band and not too expensive. Yes, ebay is the best place.
spirit22

Sep 22, 2005, 7:25 PM
I really appreciate your prompt response.

The Moto V551 is what I was leaning towards over the RAZR V3 but I'm curious about the new Nokia (6101/6102) that has sort of hit the market. It's a tri band and I want to know if I really need a quad band for overseas travel. Your thoughts?
mrcamp

Sep 23, 2005, 2:46 AM
No, you do not really need a quad band for overseas travel. As long as the tri-band has the 900/1880 bands. The only time you need a quad or at least the North America tri-band(850/1800/1900) is if you are also going to be using it with Cingular here. If it's tmobile, the Eurasian triband (900/1800/1900) should suffice. Cingular uses 850/1900, so if you want a phone that works here on cingular as well as one that will give you excellent coverage overseas, then you need a quad band.
spirit22

Sep 23, 2005, 12:00 PM
Thank you

This information completely clears up my confusion on this topic. Unfortunately it also tells me that the new Nokia 6101/6102 that many have been lusting over will not work for me.

SO, any recommendations for other quad band phones I might consider with very good reception since it seems I won't be able to get a Nokia? I had previously looked at the Motorola V551 but was steered away when I was told Nokias had the best reception.
custom

Sep 23, 2005, 9:58 PM
i have a unlocked NEC 525 camera and quad band phone. i love it, every thing sounds loud and clear. I got from ebay for only $80.00. it came with 2 batteries, 2 home chargers, a car charger and a head set.
mrcamp

Sep 24, 2005, 8:24 AM
I believe the nokia 6101/6102 should come in bothe eht American (850/1800/1900) and Eurasian (900/1800/1900) version. But since it seems like you will be needing the quad band, I can recommend the V551. I have this phone and the eurasian 3120 and have just about the same reception with both of them. The only time you should really worry about reception is when using the phone in the USA. The GSM networks overseas are so built out (countries are smaller, so it's easier to provide excellent coverage), that just about any phone with the appropiate bands will get service anywhere.
sangyup81

Sep 27, 2005, 6:28 PM
The 6101 is the Eurasian Version
The 6102 is the Cingular Version
spirit22

Oct 4, 2005, 11:34 PM
sangyup81 said:
The 6101 is the Eurasian Version

This is the version that TMobile seems to be carrying so I may get this phone after all. Getting pretty good reviews that I've read on CNet.
simplymarcus

Oct 2, 2005, 10:36 AM
motorola v551
jonesboro

Sep 12, 2007, 8:22 PM
I'm confused, need help. I'm on cingular/AT&T and have cingular 8125 and the Nokia 6102i. I like both phones. What is the international coverage of both? In plain english what is the difference in gsm tri band and gsm quad band. I'm looking to buy the pantech c3, it is a gsm tri band. What is the interantional coverage for the pantech? Thank you in advance. PS, I need a quick reply.
nextel18

Sep 12, 2007, 8:28 PM
It is actually quite simple. Tri band means that there are three bands supporting that device while quad band means that there are 4. Tri band for European is 900, 1800, and 1.9. for America it is 800/850, 1.8 and 1.9. Quad band is 850, 900, 1.8, and 1.9.

The quad band supports all of the bands instead of tri, which only supports three. I would probably say that going with quad is better for you especially just in case one of the bands aren’t supported.
jonesboro

Sep 12, 2007, 8:36 PM
nextel18, thanks for the reply. Is there a coverage map that shows triband vs quadband coverage? Thanks.
nextel18

Sep 12, 2007, 8:56 PM
No problem. If you take a look on the GSM website you can see the answers to your questions. The url is; http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index .shtml . if you click on the designated areas it will actually tell you what network information is, the company, roaming partners, services, the frequency, and whether it is live or planned. I don’t think they actually say tri band or quad band but you could look on that website I provided for more information. Obviously use that information I provided to you earlier (URL; https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?f m=m&ff=8&fi=1372974) with the band frequencies in both tri and quad when it comes to in America and/or Overseas.

I hope your travels will be filled with wonderful exper...
(continues)
spirit22

Sep 22, 2005, 7:22 PM
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will definitely start checking prices on eBay.

Do you do much travel overseas? If so, do you think I could do OK with a tri band phone (thinking about that new Nokia; whenever it actually hits the market in my area is another question)?
The Devil Am I

Sep 15, 2007, 1:48 PM
www.ebay.com

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.