Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Would like examples of the cost of cel plans in foregin countries

mikethaler

Mar 25, 2004, 1:00 AM
In the years i've been following various forums, it is quite apparent that the cost of using a cel phone in most foreign countries is considerably more expensive than here in the U.S.

However, i've yet to see anyone post what plans actually cost and what you get.

From what i've extrapolated, tho, it appears that outgoing calls are well over 10 cents/min. and incoming calls are often double that. The bill for the incoming cel call shows up on the landline bill of the number that called you. Calls placed by one cel user to another also seem to be quite expensive.

Here, of course, even a moderate user pays well under 7 cents/min. for prime time calls. Heavy users pay as little as 2 cents/min.

...mike
cai

Mar 25, 2004, 8:43 AM
Going on my recollection of telephone rates in Europe, I will probably agree with you, although I do not have specific details either.

Having said the above, I was surprised to learn that my mother's maid in the Dominican Republic had a cell telephone for which she paid a flat rate and no additional charges for calls or time. The flat rate does not seem to be prohibitive and I guess the use of cell telephones in third world countries is encouraged since the network is cheaper to build and it dispenses with the cost of installing land lines and other hardwire interface equipment. I have heard of similar cellular network pushes in African and Asian countries.
emerald

Apr 7, 2004, 4:34 AM
I can agree that outgoing calls can be cheaper in US, but in majority of European countries we do not pay for incoming calls at all. Just like with regular phones- the one who makes a call pays for it.
justpeachy

May 4, 2004, 11:24 AM
Well here's an example- check out T-Mobile's website for the UK

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher »
cai

May 4, 2004, 6:06 PM
At first glance the UK programs appear very inexpensive, by our standards. However, one must remember that the British do not earn as much as people do in the USA. Overall, though, I think they are getting better equipment for a lower oprice. One example is a free Motorola V600 with 200 everyone minutes for roughly $45.00 per month.
justpeachy

May 5, 2004, 6:16 PM
Sounds pretty expensive to me...
shabba

May 9, 2004, 4:59 AM
Here in Russia we pay about $35 per month for unlimited plan. If you don't need unlimited plan, you may choose one of the other plans. For example, 8 cents per minute with $6/month fee or 5 cents per minute with $10/month. It's pricing for outgoing calls. All incoming calls are free.

We use CDMA at 800MHz (IS-95A standard). Most Sprint and all Verizon phones are compatible with our carrier and can be used here.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.