Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

international use

vnvn

Mar 24, 2004, 8:17 PM
Hello -- I've been reading the forums and have another question. If I buy an unlocked phone, subscribe to a US service for domestic calls, and then buy a SIM card in another country when I'm abroad -
1. are the rates substantially cheaper?
2. and are SIM cards in Europe/Scandanavia/China/Thailand etc compatible with all of our GSM phones?

3. will I be able to receive calls at my US number while abroad using a SIM card?
4. where do you buy the SIM cards abroad?

Thanks very much
mikethaler

Mar 25, 2004, 12:46 AM
vnvn said:
Hello -- I've been reading the forums and have another question. If I buy an unlocked phone, subscribe to a US service for domestic calls, and then buy a SIM card in another country when I'm abroad -

....Yes - Much cheaper than paying roaming rates using your U.S. SIM. This would only pay, tho, if you are going to be making a fair number of calls. There is usually an initial charge of about $20-$30 to pay for the SIM. After that you just pay to "recharge" it.

2. and are SIM cards in Europe/Scandanavia/China/Thailand etc compatible with all of our GSM phones?

....The SIMS are all compatible w. all GSM phones. You do, of course, need a tri-band ph
(continues)
realestatesean

Jun 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
I have another question - what about data for email - can I buy a SIM local in another country and get access to my email via my PDA? Will I have to reconfigure my email to go through that local carrier's email server or can I go to the server I'm currently using?

Any other issues w/ respect to data/email access. I'm looking at buying a TREO 600 w/ TMOBILE. I will have to get an "unlocked" version too, wont I?
cai

Jun 23, 2004, 8:08 AM
This is from another thread:

"Re: Upgrade problem with t-mobile by Ximok Yesterday, 6:29 PM Once she has purchased her upgrade Samsung E105 through T-Mobile the customer can perform a sim subsidy unlock from Customer Care immediately.

A sim subsidy unlock requires the customer to be a post-paid customer in good standing. The 90 day wait period is no longer part of the unlock policy. Even a new customer can request a sim subsidy unlock."

In other words, it seems that if you go with T-Mobile you will not have to buy an unlocked telephone. Check with the TM agents to make sure.
rockprc

Jul 5, 2004, 9:11 PM
I thought the E-105 is a dual band phone. It won't be any good for use abroad then.
Rich Brome

Jul 6, 2004, 3:46 PM
vnvn said:

Yes. International roaming can be quite expensive.

Yes.

3. will I be able to receive calls at my US number while abroad using a SIM card?

Generally, no. The prepaid SIM card you pick up overseas will have its own phone number.

You could forward your U.S. number to your temporary overseas numbe...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.