Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

(wordy) newbie has a Q 'bout travlin with T-mobile

Hidalgo

Dec 2, 2008, 2:07 PM
Hello. I'm brand new to phone scoop & brand new to T-mobile.

Just ordered an unlocked 4band Nokia N81 with internet capabilities yesterday. I live in US.

This will be my backup phone and I don't want to pay too much for service and will also be my travel phone when I go on vacation.

I ordered a T-mobile pre-paid SIM.

I want to use the wireless web features in Europe on this phone with my T-mobile pre-paid SIM. The T-mobile reps were a little inconsistant in their answers, so I'm wondering if anybody has any knowledge or experience in using a domestic prepaid plan and temporarilly used it abroad for data plans.

T-mobile advertises the side-kick program, but it is written "domestic" email, text, internet, etc. Also, not sure if...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Dec 2, 2008, 5:43 PM
You will just want to set up a pre-paid service once you get overseas.

T-Mobile is pretty big in Europe, so maybe you won't have to get a new sim, but I am guessing you will because typically companies treat their European and American branches as 2 different companies, and in turn 2 different systems, etc.
Hidalgo

Dec 3, 2008, 8:52 AM
Thanks Irishcarbomb. That kind of stinks though because I was hoping to keep my same phone number and use it to text home and to europeans while I'm there.

I've been doing the prepaid SIM thing for a long time and I'm getting frustrated by this barrier between US and EU telephone service. Why do europeans get to SMS freely to any number in EU, but we can't?

They told me to call customer care before I left, so I guess I'll just do that and hope for the best and if it doesn't work, then I can always pick up a SIM.
ajlineman

Dec 2, 2008, 9:22 PM
yeah when you said newbie has a Q, I was thinking the motorolo Q... haha Either you were unspecific... or I'm just a nerd and know too many phones, haha

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.