Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Is the 2100 band availible in the US?

videobobbo

Dec 29, 2004, 4:20 PM
Just a random thought I had. With UMTS rolling out, is the 2100MHz band availible for wireless carriers to buy spectrum in? If so, would that enable the manufacture of a UMTS world phone that could *gasp* support Japanese roaming? Thanks for any input.
Rich Brome

Dec 29, 2004, 7:35 PM
Not exactly.

The exact 2100 band used in the rest of the world for UMTS 3G is not available, and won't be.

However, the government is looking at making similar spectrum available in several years. Part of it would overlap with the European 2100 band, making it slightly easier to design 3G "world phones".

But I think it would be almost as easy to design a dual-band 1900/2100 3G phone that would work worldwide. I expect to see phones like that popping up late next year or early 2006.
pcrisp07

Dec 30, 2004, 9:35 PM
No, 2100 mhz is not available in the USA yet bu the FCC has been considering putting it on the auction block for 3G purposes, but as long as it takes the FCC to do anything I wouldn't count on it any time soon. 🙂 😁
videobobbo

Dec 31, 2004, 2:39 AM
Yeah, I thought so, but it would be pretty sweet if it was availible. I like the idea of a dual-band 3G phone though. I will be travelling to Japan in July, and in the event I can get UMTS on Cingular by then, it would be pretty sweet.

Thanx Rich and pcrisp 😎
jas259871

Dec 31, 2004, 9:52 PM
Cingular use 1900 band for utms I work for them it is not avalible there was some debate between nextel and the FCC on this band the fcc was going to give this band in excaange for money and the 800 band (direct connect band) back. but the cost is too much for nextel to fork lift upgrade there network maybe in the future

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.