Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Question about using Asian phones on VZW.

pizpiz80

Nov 15, 2004, 7:23 PM
I'm uncertain if any phones on this

http://www.wirelessimports.com »

will work on VZW? Can anyone answer this for me?
XPDX

Nov 15, 2004, 11:06 PM
chances are that some will and some won't. in my experience, customers bringing thier asian phones over from cdma carriers can usually activate eq., problem is, from my pov, i don't know if it will work until i try.
bmore

Nov 16, 2004, 12:40 AM
was wondering why they wouldnt release these phones on the wireless imports site in the US? the star tac was THE best phone ever and does anyone know why its $1500-2000? looks like its italian? id love to get one but cant even IMAGINE dropping 2gs on a celly let me know your thoughts or whatever thanks!
WirelessImports

Nov 16, 2004, 3:25 AM
$1599 is the commmon price we charge for the StarTac Aniversary Edition. However we do have special prices on all of our handsets for all Phonescoop.com members.

On the top right of our page http://www.wirelessimports.com there is a place to type in a "Group Code". Type "Phonescoop" and you will notice the prices of most the phones drop.

The Star Tac VIP is at $799 for phonescoop readers which is about half off.
Rich Brome

Nov 16, 2004, 2:13 PM
Yes, they will work*. That's what that company (Wireless Imports) does - they import Asian phones and re-program them specifically to work with Verizon.

* There are catches. The phones will only work on the 800 MHz band, so you won't get any of Verizon's 1900 MHz (PCS) coverage. That is a problem more in some areas than others. Check the coverage maps on the Wireless Imports site for more info.

Also, the browser (Mobile Web) and BREW (Get It Now) usually won't work - the Korean carriers use different, incompatible settings for each of those.

You could also buy these yourself in Korea, but I wouldn't recommend it. Half the phones over there are Korean 1900 MHz, which is totally incompatible with American 1900. Even you know what to l...
(continues)
bmore

Nov 17, 2004, 7:20 PM
thanks rich for sorting this out its to bad no NEW star tac in the states would be awesome

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.