Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 8 replies

China / USA

nerdkiller

May 3, 2007, 6:39 PM
I'm leaving for china next week and am going to be traveling there regularly. I am currently on verizon and I know how limited they are world with cdma. I was thinking of switching to cingular and getting a pearl but am wondering if I could get anything cool over there and then get it set up to work here too.

Oh wait I bet I can't port my US number while in China. Anyway if I did get a phone from china and bring it back here before setting it up... how difficult is the it getting it set up with a cingular acct if the phone is a foreign GSM?

ALSO... is there anything in china worth getting? I will be in Shanghai mostly, dunno what they got. I imagine Hong Kong would have neat stuff but i wont be near there.

thx for anyones help!

(continues)
heyheyhey

May 3, 2007, 10:25 PM
Don't know about what you can get, but I know they have some awesome phones over there.

As far as getting a phone there, make sure you get a quadband phone that is unlocked. Setting up with Cingular shouldn't be a problem, because they have instructions online.

By the way, you could look into a Nokia if there are no unlocked phones. I've heard they're pretty easy to unlock.
Rich Brome

May 4, 2007, 12:49 AM
Any decent quad-band GSM phone available in China can also be had online from any of many importers.

You will find MANY other phones in China that you can't get here, but most won't be quad-band GSM, (which are the only kind I would recommend that work in both countries.)

Of the ones that are quad-band GSM, you should know that China does not have the same quality standards that other parts of the world have. I promise you that I don't have anything against Chinese industry on a personal level, I'm just relaying what I've been told by people in the mobile phone industry.

I've talked to top executives at major western phone makers who have shared with me their experiences trying to outsource to China. They've told me how the Chinese...
(continues)
raycarroll70

May 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
Nerdkiller, since you have Verizon Wireless, why don't you consider upgrading to the Samsung SCH-i830 which is quad band (850/1900 MHz CDMA & 900/1800 MHz GSM, 1xRTT/1xEV-DO Rev 0 & GPRS) so you can use the various GSM carriers over there in Shanghai and the various CDMA wireless carriers here in North America? Even though the majority of innovative wireless/electronic devices come from Hong Hong nerdkiller, there's quite a bit that comes from the Shanghai region. Just stay away from bootleg computer software as well as DVDs. Can we say the 1999 movie Brokedown Palace starring Claire Danes (Romeo + Juliet), Kate Beckinsale (Underworld) and Bill Pullman (Space Balls)? LOL!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0120620/ »
https://www.phonescoop.com/phones »...
(continues)
robtheman

May 14, 2007, 4:44 PM
You, sir, are a giant hypocrite.
blackandyellow

May 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
You, sir, have the avatar of Michael Jackson, a very mentally ill man who suffers from the Peter Pan Syndrome. What does that say about you?
robtheman

May 16, 2007, 1:57 PM
That I'm a card carrying member of NAMBLA?
fozzyface

May 22, 2007, 3:15 PM
what? you look like Marlon Brando?
Eastern

Jun 28, 2007, 2:19 PM
WE adopted our baby in china and we had no problems with service there. I am with tmobile at the time and was using an unlocked v500. I have since switched to cingular and don't think there would be an issue

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.