Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Japanese Phones in US

edl_1978

Oct 13, 2004, 9:37 PM
Hi,

I am going to be in Japan for a few weeks. I am curious, does anyone know if I can buy a GSM Unlocked cellphone for use in with a US/Canadian carrier?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Eric
Rich Brome

Oct 14, 2004, 12:47 PM
Nope. They don't use GSM in Japan. Japan and Korea have always been the two oddball countries that mostly use their own technologies and/or frequency bands that are incompatible with the rest of the world.

That's slowly starting to change as they move toward standardized WCDMA in Japan and EVDO in Korea, but the frequencies are still different compared to networks in the U.S.

They are starting to come out with a few special kinds of "world phones" in those countries, but they are new and expensive, and I have yet to hear about unlocked versions that could be used with a US carrier's SIM card.
jlast

Nov 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
Sanyo has had the Global Passport cdma phones available through KDDI (Au) in Japan for a couple years now, but roaming outside of Japan is extremely expensive.

WCDMA/UMTS from Vodafone is the best bet for a world phone in Japan. NTT DoCoMo's WCDMA "FOMA" service is a tweak of the 3gpp spec and unfortunately is not compatible with other WCDMA serivces elsewhere in the world.
CDMA is also in Japan, some OEMs are developing EVDO, but one could argue the "worldliless" of CDMA.
DaiNayee

Dec 3, 2004, 11:37 AM
I pretty sure in japan and korea they do NOT have conventional 900/1900/1800 MHz band, but I was in there last winter and I had rented form these guys in D.C, InTouch USA Japan phone rental, they have pretty good rates. the ph number is 1-703-222-7161

hope this helps

dai nayee

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.