Home  ›  Forums  ›

Tricked Out

all discussions

Can "Dummy Phone" keypads be installed on a real phone?

lee354

Jun 30, 2008, 2:09 PM
Although i posted the same basic question on the Samsung Alias/SCH-U740 forum to reach those most familiar with this specific phone, i'll also post here hoping to find some hackers who may know about this subject in general:

I often see "dummy phones" - the non-working and thus theft-deterrent samples used as in-store displays - for sale at online auctions for $5 or thereabouts. These use the shell from a real phone to show potential customers how the phone looks and feels, but have fake screen images to show what it would look like if it were a real phone with real service, and don't have a battery or likely any electronics in them. Which gets me wondering whether I can take apart my real Samsung SCH-U740 phone, remove the keycaps, and...
(continues)
Kagehiru

Jun 30, 2008, 6:47 PM
I can't speak specifically to the Alias, but it is doable on other phones. The rubber key pad they use is the same as in the real phones.
liquidfire

Jul 1, 2008, 3:00 PM
all the silver ones have the new keypad and the black/gold ones, the old keypad

the color change and keypad change went with the name change (u740 to Alias)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.