Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Suggestion for phone designers: Hangup-button lighting

cellphonesaretools

Nov 19, 2006, 9:59 AM
One thing that would be nice to have on mobile phones is to have the hangup button always lit during a call, so even in a dark vehicle the user can easily find the hangup button to end a call. I understand the need to conserve battery by dimming or turning off the keypad after a few seconds; that makes perfect sense. But if just the hangup button alone could reamin lit during a call, it would use so little battery no one would notice the loss, and it would make it much easier to end a call when driving after dark. Just a thought for you forward-thinking phone designers & developers. ๐Ÿ™‚
speed demon

Nov 19, 2006, 3:49 PM
with the development of clam phones and bluetooth tell me why this would be necessary??? ๐Ÿคจ
cellphonesaretools

Nov 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
I don't use Bluetooth, most people don't either.

I have a clamshell, but it's configured to remain on when closed, so it can be conveniently used in the closed position during PTT calls, and closing the clamshell automatically switches to speakerphone mode during regular cellular calls. A very handy feature, but I have to push the hangup button manually. Also, there are still a lot of bar-style phones out there.
heyheyhey

Nov 20, 2006, 7:44 PM
not to be rude or anything, but i think after you've started using your phone for a few hours or whatever), you should know where the end key is ๐Ÿ™‚
cellphonesaretools

Nov 22, 2006, 9:55 AM
Well, I guess not all of us are as good as you are. The fact that the keyboard is flat and one's fingertips can't distinguish button locations on a flat surface could have something to do with it. But maybe not. I guess it's just because you're so good.

BTW, cellphone developers are, evidently, all young people. I guess none of them has had to help their elderly parents try to use their failing eyesight and arthritic hands to operate what could be a very useful device to them. Oh, well, the youth of tomorrow will design things for their capabilities, and then they'll laugh at you for your ineptitude.
heyheyhey

Nov 25, 2006, 5:58 PM
not all keyboards are flat, you know ๐Ÿ˜
cellphonesaretools

Nov 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
Wow! Great comeback, and so helpful, too.

If you really are a developer, which I doubt, you're definitely part of the problem.
heyheyhey

Nov 26, 2006, 4:23 PM
it might help if you weren't negative... people besides me and the other two might listen to your rants. Besides, most phones have a distinctive spot where the end button is located, and not all keyboards are flat.
cellphonesaretools

Nov 27, 2006, 9:04 AM
Go back and read the thread from start to finish. Your initial reply: "not to be rude or anything, but i think after you've started using your phone for a few hours or whatever), you should know where the end key is" was the genesis of the negativity, not me. I merely responded in-kind to your smart-off answer.

If, indeed, all keyboards had a distinctive button that made tactile feedback adequate, I would never have had to post my suggestion in the first place. As an engineer myself who designs equipment (unrelated to the telecom industry), I know what I'm talking about, and I certainly would not have posted the suggestion if there was not an actual deficit in the design of my current phone. My old phone did have a distinctive end button,...
(continues)
heyheyhey

Nov 27, 2006, 6:18 PM
Before we end this post, I'd just like to point out that I wasn't trying to be "smart" when I posted that comment... I was intending to imply that the majority of people play around and talk on their phone in light before they talk on it in the dark. By then, most of those people have realized where their end key is, and don't need a tactile response. Thus, that is probably why developers have stopped designing end keys like that because they expect people to know where it is.
phonemechanic

Nov 25, 2006, 6:38 PM
One word. Jitterbug. You should look into it. It's so simple that even you'll be able to use it...
cellphonesaretools

Nov 27, 2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks. I just saw Phonescoop's review of the Jitterbug, and that might do the trick. It's not for me, and its not just a matter of it being simple, it's the fact that my parents just don't have good eyesight any more to see the display clearly, and pushing small buttons really is difficult to do with the arthritis in their hands. But Jitterbug is the first product I've seen that begins to address those issues for those who have such difficulties. I'll be looking seriously at Jitterbug for their needs.
J0hnnyM

Dec 16, 2006, 8:56 AM
If you are in the car and need to hang up you should just throw your phone out the window.

I hate people that talk on their phone in the car. Especially at night.

I don't care how good of a driver you are, you are using one of your hands to hold the phone. You've just cut your abilities in half.

Now, if you use a headset or BT...
jrfdsf

Jan 4, 2007, 7:35 AM
True if you're the driver, but what if you're the passenger? The car is still dark and you can't see the keypad.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.