printed September 19, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=6&fi=698096

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

Back to message list

Cingular Cripples SMS Application Development in US

by fishnyc22    Jul 11, 2006, 12:57 PM

I am a developer/entrepreneur working on a unique SMS application for US markets. My team and I have jumped though hoops to retrofit our application to fit the ridiculous stronghold carriers have on SMS in the US. While it is almost impossible to run an interesting and profitable SMS business that requires user interactivity via SMS short codes, (unless you are Google or some other conglomerate)... with this new development...it just got more difficult.

Cingular just announced that they will no longer allow alternative payment mechanism (credit card, etc) for any sms based program. This means that companies that want to run a legitimate SMS service where users opt-in, receive text messages and are able to reply via a short code will not be able to bill these users via credit card on their own sites (with the companies still paying 3+ cents each to the carriers for sending and 1+ cents to receive via that short code). They will have to use Premium billing where the user is charged via their phone bill. You might think that this is more convenient for the developing companies...however, Cingular takes almost 50% of the revenue for premium billing and STILL changes you to send and receive messages though your short code. When all is said and done, a profit margin that was once respectable is cut to mere pennies.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.