Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

show all 36 replies

Sprint / Nextel

jsnkss

Apr 19, 2006, 9:51 PM
I was wondering if Sprint/Nextel will ever join the same network. i am trying to procrastinate from switching to nextel for the Bleep Bleeps. I like sprint but does anyone know if they are going to be on the same network?
Rich Brome

May 22, 2006, 3:59 PM
The short answer is yes, but it will take some time.

By the end of this year, they will have phones that combine CDMA (for voice and data) with iDEN (for PTT only).

That will be their solution until after they launch EV-DO rev A, which will allow them to launch a new PTT service on the CDMA network that will rival iDEN PTT. When that happens, they will start moving iDEN customers to the CDMA network over a period of time. (1-2 years most likely).
nextel18

Jun 2, 2006, 1:19 PM
I think the best advice to give him is that if he wants beep beep he should wait till october when the dual mode comes out.
burger_with_fries81

Aug 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the switch progresses. I'm gonna laugh if Sprextel encounters the same type of issue Cingular is having with switching customers off the old technology.
nextel18

Jun 2, 2006, 1:18 PM
It will take some time to bring over Nextel’s assets and combine it with sprint’s and you should be very patient.

In 2006 (October) they will introduce a dual mode phone (iden and cdma).

In 2007, they would put REV A on the network

2008; qchat will be on the network to try to phase out Nextel’s direct connect.

From 2007+, they will be transforming spectrum and towers over to the sprint’s network.

I can’t give a time frame if they will 100% phase out Nextel’s network because frankly it has been discussed to be using the network for push to talk centric users so yea.

If you want beep beep, go get the dual mode phones coming out in October and in the 1st quarter of 2007.
baristakid

Jul 23, 2006, 3:30 PM
the fact of the matter is that the whole reason for the integration is that the federal government is pushing the iden network out of it's bandwidth. Last I heard, sprint had to be completely out of nextel's spectrum by 2012, which should effectively make the iden product disappear, because by that time the cdma network will have advanced enough to handle high speed data, calling, and ptt features. when it comes down to it, however, anyone looking at the iden product should not hesatate to sign up, because the network will be around and just as strong as it is for a number of years still. I did like the idea of the dual mode phones, which is probably the best way to go.
nextel18

Jul 26, 2006, 1:34 PM
The government isn’t pushing Nextel off anywhere. This re-banding plan is just to make sure that there will be enough spectrum for the SMR providers without having any more interference. Perhaps you should read about it.

Last you heard; “Sprint had to be completely out of Nextel’s spectrum by 2012”. WHAT?!!!

Enough spreading false statements please.

Neither Nextel nor Sprint is forced to leave the IDEN network.
tmcloud

Jul 26, 2006, 11:24 AM
you guys have to remeber though that NO ONE has yet to develop a PTT feature that is as good as Nextel's. I worked for Nextel and now for Sprint/Nextel...and Nextel's coverage area sucks, but the reason people keep it is for the INSTANT communication. All the other PTT featuresa aren't instant they have delays and until Sprint fixes the horrible ready-link...you should just go with Nextel if you want the quality PTT.

By the way, calling it the "beep-beep" makes you sound ignorant and stupid.
nextel18

Jul 26, 2006, 1:36 PM
In addition, Nextel’s push to talk uses 1/10th of the bandwidth allotted so that helps with capacity, speed, and reliability because other solutions use voice channels. (which is problematic)
Argonnj

Jul 27, 2006, 10:28 AM
tmcloud said:
By the way, calling it the "beep-beep" makes you sound ignorant and stupid.

I agree. Unfortunatly the urban gangster wanabes seemed to have embraced this technology and we all know they have to make up stupid names for everything, because they are too stupid to know the real name of the service. Even Gangta phone provider Boost Mobile calls it "chirp"
vonclay

Aug 9, 2006, 3:51 PM
😉
southparkfreak

Jan 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
😈 WHAT UP G!!!
cellphoneguy

Aug 8, 2006, 3:17 PM
i dont kno were ur at but round here u would have better service froma trac fone then u would for sprint! i sit here at nextel while i watch sprint which is 10 feet away and all day the get returns its so fn funny 😁
MeatballzNGravy

Aug 8, 2006, 5:50 PM
🤣
cingcing

Aug 8, 2006, 7:04 PM
🤨
American Telephone and Te

Aug 8, 2006, 7:16 PM
😁
raycarroll70

Sep 12, 2006, 8:07 AM
Sprint Nextel Inc. along with Motorola is suppose to be working on a handset that'll run off the CDMA network for voice and data services as well as the iDEN for PTT. What it sounds like is this hybrid handset will be geared towards existing as well as potential iDEN customers to transition them off the iDEN network. If you think about it, the faster iDEN customer can get migrated to CDMA and still have a PTT enabled handset, the quicker Sprint Nextel Inc. will be able to retire the iDEN network one day. I'd like to think once EVDO Rev A gets deployed over the 1xRTT network, VoIP will become the standard for voice, data as well as PTT services until their 4G technology, WiMax, get rolled out nationally.
Cellinovation

Sep 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
That sounds great, but think about it. The Iden technology has better coverage for the most part than does the PCS network.(there are exceptions to this) also if they do retire the Iden network, what would have been the point in buying more than half of Nextel, and purchasing the affiliates. There were alot bigger threats to sprint than Nextel. Not to mention they would then have to revert back to the CDMA "ready link" wich is slower and not as capable as the Nextel 2 way. I think this is just a trial for a handset the will do Iden 2 way and give the option for both CDMA and Iden for voice depending on covered area. Other wise they wasted all the spectrum access writes, as well as for no reason become forced to release wimax in 16 citie...
(continues)
raycarroll70

Sep 12, 2006, 1:34 PM
The new Motorola hybrid handset slated for sometime before the end of this year will not work on iDEN for voice service, only for PTT. The voice and data services will be carried over the CDMA and 1xRTT network respectively. When EVDO Rev A gets deployed over their 1xRTT & Rev 0 networks, I imagine Sprint Nextel Inc. will launch VoIP for both all three types of service. Don't forget when a customer travels off the Sprint CDMA network, they don't get charged roaming on other CDMA wireless carriers like Qwest, Alltel Wireless and Veriozn Wireless with the current rate plans so footprint for the most part regarding voice is immaterial. As Sprint Nextel signs Wireless Data Roaming agreements with these and other carriers, data access will then a...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Sep 12, 2006, 2:34 PM
Good Point. However, do you think they are willing to just throw out the Iden network and loose the "instant" two way. It has to be the only real reason to purchase nextel. The Iden network is under heavy strain because of MVNO boost mobile. (I would suspect) this is the reason they are trying to migrate voice to the CDMA side. So they can prepare for the Launch of rev A. This way they won't have a rev A CDMA and a rev A Iden. The Iden network coldn't handle rev A it would end up taking a dump and taking all the voice customers with it. (I have the data functionality on NEXTEL anyways) It just seems to me that everything they went through is way to much to just dump iden. They know that the only reason most people have nextel is th...
(continues)
blazerman007

Sep 12, 2006, 3:00 PM
I dont think the company will phase out the iDen at all. Why would company keep pouring money into new towers???
The whole point of the merger is to have the walkie talkie
There is no point in going back to the 8 second delay
Nextel has a large business base and there would be no point in making them all change when the nextel walkie talkie service had been the premire walkie talkie service for over 20 years.
There is a reason most law enforcement, constuction, large to small businesses use Nextel. It works, it gets the job done with the Walkie talkie.

P.S. Legacy Nextel rep so im alittle bias but like i tell my customers and i mean it, id still have nextel if i didnt work for the company. I like Sprint for the data but i use the...
(continues)
raycarroll70

Sep 12, 2006, 3:52 PM
LOL! I was a legacy iDEN RCC too before moving up into a legacy CDMA affiliate retail store. Still have an i730 so I can understand where you're coming from on that point. From my understanding on how VoIP over EVDO Rev A will work is it'll be almost as fast as the DC PTT and it's not going to be anytime soon for the iDEN network to be dismantled. I'm sure iDEN will be around through at least 2012. Try prying W's iDEN out of his Texan's hands. LOL!
toolz

Nov 4, 2006, 7:11 PM
hey guys the dual mode phones are out in testing in our customers hands right now and well be launched in feb. so its closer than we all think
jrfdsf

Jan 4, 2007, 7:46 AM
At least until 2012. They're sending out postcards to current Nextel customers stating this. Dual mode phones with 800 CDMA roaming in the future an absolute must in my book!
southparkfreak

Jan 5, 2007, 10:32 AM
😳 👀 🤨 🙂 THIS CARRIER IS NOTHING BUT CRAP.. U GET SERVICE AND THEN U DONT...GO FIGURE
jrfdsf

Jan 5, 2007, 4:42 PM
I don't know what service s like in your area, but in mine Nextel works great. If I chose another carrier, I would get no service where I work because Nextel is the only thing that will pick up inside the building.
ABLINDKID

Apr 4, 2007, 8:07 PM
They already sell phones now that work off the same towers at nextel they are hybrid phones, its their way of getting more customer, because they have better service, but my buddy just got one of the hybrid phones and he has a problem with alot of dropped calls, so he just switced over to verizon and got the new G zone military issues phone because he works construction and he loves it, they really have the best network out there 🙄
kjcarter3

Apr 11, 2007, 1:25 PM
It's funny that that the advrtise they have least droped calls but there was an independent study dine but Mind Wireless who manages over 130,000 wireless lines for clinets with access to detailed call data and no carrier alliances "found Sprint Nextel's CDMA network had the lowest average rate of droped calls, with only 5.4% over a 6 month period. followed closley by Cingular Wireless L.L.C. legacy AT&T theirs 5.7 and Verizon came in third at 8% 😁
the_devil_incarnate

Apr 13, 2007, 12:30 AM
I've also found that amusing myself. But Sprint advertises being the first in customer service, thats a lie. If they can't help you they'll transfer you to someone who has no idea whats going on and whose dept is completely unrelated.

I've had it happen. Alot.
the_devil_incarnate

Apr 13, 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm sorry, to clarify above, not because I'm a Sprint customer, because I work for a dept of Sprint in which I get random transfers from other reps and the customer is livid because I wasn't informed of what's even going on.
ABLINDKID

Apr 19, 2007, 10:20 PM
well i just recently learned why verizon had the worst customer service for a while, a few years back they hired an indepentent contracting company that delt with customer service only, so when people got transfered to these people back then,keep in mind they were a contracting company that knew NOTHING about cell phones, but since then the dont use contracters for customer service, technical department yes they use solectron the company i work for.....has anyone else noticed the big change in customer service for verizon now compared to a couple of years ago......thats the one thing i hate about sprint i had them for 8 years and recently canceled because every time i called the 800 customer service they had no clue how to help me.....and wo...
(continues)
Miseria_Cantare

Apr 22, 2007, 9:59 AM
👿 ok we TRY to help, we are only taught how to certain things in certain areas at Sprint/Nextel, and most of it is a policy we follow by, im pretty sure you know what a policy is.
babyrayb

Apr 22, 2007, 10:49 AM
I know how to do alot. I do l&s and doa.
NEPA_SHPO_nogo

Oct 26, 2007, 8:23 PM
My 2 cents:

Personally, I have the following networks:

Verizon
Sprint/Nextel- Nextel based & Hybrid phones
Cingular/ATT

In my opinion, as of late, Verizon has a superb network. I haven't dealt with QOS (quality of service) issues as far as customer sentiment goes.

Nextel/Sprint: depending on the which phone you choose will determine the network your primarily using. Applications differ. And greatly. Of course one doesn't find this out until half of the staff has one phone and the other half another and then upper mgmt wonders why applications differ.... Hmmm.. That was a bit of a learning curve for us. In short, we ate the cost of thy hybrid phones and converted back to Nextel. We needed specific protocols that the Sp...
(continues)
THE.BIG.DOGG

Nov 1, 2007, 1:05 PM
they r splitting...
wirelessad

Nov 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
sprint AND nextel both suck @$$...their service sux as well as customer service...i would rather have a tracfone
cellphoneguy

Nov 30, 2007, 1:48 PM
You must work for alltel or the big stink!?!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.