Phone Scoop

printed September 17, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=6&fi=218454

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

Back to message list

Top message:  Do you think it's in the future? by aml05   Mar 21, 2005, 8:45 AM

Replying to:  Re: Do you think it's in the future? by silvabullit   Mar 21, 2005, 8:45 PM

Re: Do you think it's in the future?

by thejason    Mar 22, 2005, 12:59 PM

It will still never get to that point, at least not in the near future.

The problem is, it's not like the cable or auto industry. there are different types of models in both of those, but they work off of the same technology (i.e. a ford can drive on all the same roads a chevy can).

There are two major different techs in the cell phone biz (gsm and cdma), and very very few phones that can do both. Also, phones are not designed directly for the consumer, they're designed for the carrier, which I think is an extra step, but I'm not sure it will change any time soon.

Essentially, though, none of that matters. It is possible to manufacture a phone that will work almost anywhere, on either kind of network. The problem is simple: If the system were to change so you can buy any phone and hook it to any network, the cost of handsets would skyrocket. As it is, the system is set up so that (initially) no one is making profit on the sale of the phone. The profit is made on the contract. Every phone would have to come standard unlocked, and retailers that sold them would then jack up the price of the phone so they can still make profit by getting rid of it.

In my opinion, this would hurt the market more than it would help it. There are those of us who are willing to pay $300 for a phone, but I think the majority of consumers want the cheaper deal.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.