Phone Scoop

printed October 30, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=6&fi=1959139

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

Back to message list

Why do carriers put "their" firmware on phone?

by Gnarlyjibs    Dec 18, 2008, 11:39 PM

It's kinda lame when you buy a new phone hoping for the features that the manufacturer put on them to actually be usable after the carrier has gotten a hold of it. I bought a Sony Ericsson W580i and was looking forward to the "mp3 ring tones" only to find out that ATT makes it so you can't just apply a full song to be a ring tone. there is many other instances of this type of thing out there. like locking you out of being able to change customizable buttons, not being able to change banners, the menu styles are completely changed...i mean i see it all the time on phones and makes me so mad. cant they at least give you the option of leaving the "stock" firmware on the phone.

I think this should be changed maybe even make it unlawful for them to change it without your consent....sigh

just wish there was something little people like me could actually do to initiate change.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.