Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

show all 6 replies

wireless laptop??

fraiz

Nov 10, 2004, 1:24 PM
who has the best service for under 79.00 a month unlimited Internet access?? should i use my phone as a modem? what phone company should i use??
CDGIII

Nov 10, 2004, 1:47 PM
Verizon's National Access isn't bad. In great coverage, you'll get 120kbps. Mobile, you can expect about 80-90kbps at highway speeds. And National Access is fully deployed throughout much of VZW's coverage area nationally. EVDO is coming, but will be more expensive. But with that expense comes MUCH faster rates.

If you have the data connectivity kit, use your phone. Phones typically have better reception than PCMCIA cards because you can move a phone's antenna away from the internal processor and screen, which add interference.
fraiz

Nov 10, 2004, 1:50 PM
what about the t-mobile 29 A month unlimited plan is it too slow? what other companys are there?
fraiz

Nov 10, 2004, 1:51 PM
if i go to t-mobile will the phone as a modemn be faster than the sierra card
CDGIII

Nov 10, 2004, 1:57 PM
I don't know what data rates you'll get from T-Mobile, but I can guarentee they will be much slower than VZW's.

Assuming both work, chances are your phone will be faster than the card.
CainMarko

Nov 10, 2004, 7:04 PM
Tmobile offers GPRS. It's very slow (30-40 kbps). VZW/Sprint offer 1x and it's about twice as fast. Cingular offers EDGE. It's currently the fastest National data offering of ANY provider. I consistently get data rates of 110kbps+ when I am using it... and I use it ALL the time. VZW is releasing EV-DO nationally eventually, but you will not have nationwide access for a while. UMTS/HSDPA is coming from cingular. UMTS offers data speeds almost as fast as VZW's offering, but HSDPA will smoke EV-DV. Lucent is promising speeds up to 20mbps 😳. That's 5 times faster than EV-DV will EVER be and that's just the first release version of it...
CDGIII

Nov 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
VZW's 1x_RTT will offer theorically up to 156kbps, but realistically as good as 130kbps. If you're in a car traveling at highway speeds, expect data rates around 90kbps. EVDO is deployed in 13 markets, and by the end of the year 2005, should be very well deployed. Theoretical speeds of 2.5 Mbps on the downlink, but realistic speeds will be about 800kbps (about as fast as most realistic DSL speeds depending on your local network). If you're mobile at highway speeds, expect data rates of 300-500kbps. And that's here now.

(EVDV is still-born and won't be implemented)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.