Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Vehicular Repeaters and AMPS

CDGIII

Aug 31, 2004, 9:50 AM
Just read an interesting little post about having 3W amplifiers. Do NOT buy these thinking that it will assist your phone. In CDMA, the inability of a handset to demodulate the paging channel is a function of the receiver sensitivity of the handset, and most importantly the antenna. The only thing a 3W amp will do is to effectively negatively impact the loading capacity of the sector you are in, or the sectors you are in if in a soft-handoff condition. In CDMA, they are entirely ineffective.

Vehicular Repeaters: I've seen a few of these that were being marketted for NEXTEL. Same thing. It would take an extremely expensive model to overcome the near-far problem in CDMA, which means that it will only serve to raise the overall noise floor o...
(continues)
sammy2

Aug 31, 2004, 10:56 AM
skipping along the tops of engineer speak in the first few paragraphs brought me to the plain speak suggesting we not purchase a repeater to use with a CDMA phone. for that I thank you. I do think I understood the top two paragraphs but my relatively small engineering knowledge may be blinding me.

Now what I would like to know is what can be used in a vehicle to improve reception and transmission within a cdma system?
CDGIII

Aug 31, 2004, 10:59 AM
Extend the antenna, if so equipped. If you have a hands-free adapter that routes the RF to an externally mounted antenna, that will help (but not neccessarilly in all cases. Depends on manufacturer), in the same sense as would holding your extended antenna out the window.
slowest man

Oct 8, 2004, 3:27 AM
Any comments or experience with Digital Antenna's DA4000 with "Dynamic Variable Gain Control" FCC ID: PZODA4000

Check out this link:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/Vi ... »
CDGIII

Oct 21, 2004, 3:45 PM
I just BRIEFLY read their test reports, and they have exceed the maximum Tx output power spec. So, in a fringe environment, it will help very little. Because the receiver sensitivity of the antenna on the base station is far more sensitive than the antenna on your mobile, most calls drop because the mobile fails to maintain a strong enough receive signal. This amp won't help much in that environment. And if the gain is not adjustable, when the device is close to the tower, it will act as a jammer to those units on the fringe of the tower, because it will not be able to power down its transmit power low enough, it will dramatically raise the noise floor of the sector, killing the guy on the fringe of that cell.

Any one who markets an AMP w...
(continues)
evilbstrd666

Jun 3, 2006, 1:22 PM
The important thing to them is to make money. That's all companies care about these days.
pizpiz80

Nov 6, 2004, 3:44 PM
So im confused... So what you are tryin to tell me is that the amp and antenna i have in my car doesnt work in my CDMA area? Hmm thats news to me. I think its raised the signal significantly. It was well worth the money i spent.
CDGIII

Nov 9, 2004, 1:48 PM
What one are you using?
pizpiz80

Nov 9, 2004, 10:18 PM
Wilson
CDGIII

Nov 10, 2004, 10:21 AM
Do you have a link to a site for it? What type of environment do you use it most often? Major highways? Rural areas? Suburban? Cities?
wirelesstechradio

Jun 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
I forwarded this thread to Digital Antenna since there product is mentioned . Maybe they can shed some light or counterpoints to this discussion.

I'm personally interested in a GSM repeater being a Cingular customer but I think the answers would be generally interesting.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.