Phone Scoop

printed July 30, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=5&fi=3267333

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Lounge

Back to message list

Top message:  Go to War in Syria? Thumbs up or Thumbs down? by Alpha Male   Sep 2, 2013, 12:26 PM

Replying to:  Webb, your opinion is the only qualified opinion on war. Thumbs up or Thumbs down? by Alpha Male   Sep 4, 2013, 12:03 PM

Re: Webb, your opinion is the only qualified opinion on war. Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

by Webb    Sep 4, 2013, 1:18 PM

I would say to tread cautiously, but that inaction has a price. The normalization of chemical warfare isn't exactly something that is in your national interests.

That said, the rebels aren't exactly a stellar lot nowadays. What began as anti-authoritarian resistance has been morphing into sectarian jihad over time. This is because much of the early resisters are either dead or have fled the country, and the sorts of folks who see a situation like this and say, "WOW I REALLY GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THIS," unfortunately tend to be mujahadeen with a sectarian axe to grind. They're probably going to get nastier over time, because unfortunately that's pretty much their replacement pool. This means that if the rebels do topple Assad, you're probably going to end up with someone worse in control. You want to be really careful about who you give what assistance to.

Interesting note: in Bosnia-Herzegovina, foreign mujahadeen volunteers eventually rallied to the Bosnian flag, and they were the sorts of nasty characters you'd have expected. Their presence in country and their viciousness was used for years as an excuse to Radovan Karadzic and his ilk run amok. And, of course, we had to cater to Russian pan-slavic interests to keep the UN in the game.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.