Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 43 replies

why cant verizon come up with better phone sellection

mobile_guru

Oct 26, 2003, 2:57 PM
WHY WHY WHY OHH WHY? who is the person in charge of that. he or she should be fired.
nicks5522

Oct 26, 2003, 5:04 PM
i agree not too pleased with phone selection....i would die for them to drop the motorola v600
brodfukker

Oct 28, 2003, 11:48 AM
it's simple ... Verizon is the most anal, detail-oriented company in the biz! they scrutinize everything before it is released - this is good & bad... good because it increases quality. but bad because it takes forever for anything to happen (compared to how quickly all the other carriers are throwing new stuff out there!) i know this firsthand because i'm a dealer for them...
qagirl

Oct 28, 2003, 10:57 PM
VZW does scrutinize their handsets pretty heavily before releasing them. Just look at the fiasco with camera phones. All the other carriers jumped on that bandwagon with sub-par handsets that didn't live up to expectations. VZW waited for a handset to be developed that actually performed. Lots of people said we missed the rush for camera phones, but they are now selling like crazy and performing better than all the other carriers. It's the same with the rest of the handsets. If they don't pass our tests we don't carry them. Period. And if the manufacturer won't customize the phone and software to our expectations then we don't sell it. Period.
muchdrama

Oct 29, 2003, 8:35 PM
You might want to go back and do a little research in regards to carriers and their respective camera phones. Sprint came out with the excellent Sayno 5300 way before Verizon...and it worked very well to boot. Also take a look at the Sanyo 8100...another success. And before you start screaming about me being a Sprint loyalist, I'd like to point out that I've sold, used and activated their phones for over a year.
qagirl

Oct 29, 2003, 10:54 PM
I've been researching phones for over 7 years, as a matter of fact. And I've been in the industry for over 10. Yes, both Sanyos are great....now. But they didn't pass VZW tests when they first launched. Consumer surveys and industry reports indicate many initial software issues with the handsets, and many instances of less than adequate performance. They required many revisions and updates to the software to work out all the kinks. And these kinks really left a sour taste in the mouths of consumers who ran out to buy that first camera phone, and found it didn't perform as expected.
bukabakey

Oct 30, 2003, 12:29 AM
"But they didn't pass VZW tests when they first launched"

And the T720 for VZW passed? I've never had more problems with a phones before.
No offense but I think you need 10 more years in the industry before you start bashing other carriers phones especially comparing to crappy VZW phones
qagirl

Oct 30, 2003, 7:43 AM
When manufacturers submit handsets for carriers to test they are never made to the same specs that the ones they ship to sell are. Manufacturers spend months perfecting these test phones, to make sure the phone will pass standards requirements so that the carrier will decide to sell them. Once the carrier does, these test phones get mass-produced by the thousands, and this is where software glitches, handset defects and poor network performance issues arise. The T720 was a nightmare. I only carried mine for a month before I switched back to LG. But I carried a test 720 for 2 months and that phone was awesome. We assumed the consumer version would be the same.
The Sanyo 5300 is an awesome phone, there is no disputing that. But I was ca...
(continues)
muchdrama

Oct 30, 2003, 1:01 PM
I don't know where you got your information about both Sanyos I mentioned. Whatever "kinks" you're referring to in regards to the 5300, well, my customers didn't experience them. I don't think I can remember a better reception for a phone. And as for the 8100, I don't think you can find a better functioning or well built phone on the market for the same price. And I don't care if you've been "researching" phones for 7 years or working in the industry for 10. I'm the wireless manager at a major electronics chain and I have to tell you that if VZW even HAS a quality assurance department, it's certainly not working. The Motorola V120 is a certified piece of junk, the Samsung SCHA310 is a buggy mess from hell, the Motorola v60p is a creaky low q...
(continues)
mk

Oct 30, 2003, 3:26 PM
So being a "wireless manager" gives you better credentials? I think we can all spot a highly biased anti-Verizon person pretty easily, which I guess is OK. I just had to laugh at your post though - you can trash any company when you really think about it. Sprint coverage and reception stinks, Nextel is a one-trick pony, AT&T Wireless is spotty in my area, etc. etc. Verizon has some great phones (and bad ones), just like every other carrier.
muchdrama

Oct 30, 2003, 5:18 PM
If you look closely I'm not really "bashing" VZW...just a few of the phones their "quality assurance" program has let slip through the cracks into our disapproving hands. I'm fully aware that VZW currently has the largest, best (in regards to dropped calls) network in the country...I was just pointing out some information about the Sanyo phones. Next time you might want to actually READ the posts. Yeesh. Also, it's just a matter of location in regards to Sprint coverage and reception. That also goes for all providers. Gain some knowledge and come back better armed.
mk

Oct 30, 2003, 6:45 PM
Sorry, you're right, I'm wrong. I'm a moron - I can't read. I couldn't interpret your blatant bashing - I'm really dumb. How could I be such an idiot. You weren't biased at all - what was I thinking? Next time I'll have my lawyer read your post first so I don't respond with such moronic trash. I'm a dope.
muchdrama

Oct 30, 2003, 7:10 PM
I love it when everyone's in agreement.
pumpkin

Nov 10, 2003, 12:35 AM
by your posts muchdrama you were sounding like your bashing verizon. every company has their dud phones, even sprint who you love so much. but being the manager of a store or whatever does not make us here respect your opinion at all. a lot of people here work as customer care reps and i think i can speek for all of us, in all companys that dealers are the enemy, giving customers false info and then we have to deal with the customer, when you sell them a phone and garuntee it will work and they call in to get a credit because it doesnt work. and pushy phones that you like on them that doesnt work for them. although you may like that phone it probably did not work when it first launched, and 400 is way to much for any phone. so just qui...
(continues)
silcivic

Nov 15, 2003, 10:00 PM
True I've sold phones for almost 6 years now and EVERY company has problems if they say they don't they are lying to you. 1st problem is that I haven't found a carrier that works everywhere. I don't think there is a carrier that does. Second is as much as they try to field test the phones before they release them to the public they don't have enough time to thoroughly test the phones. As for dealers giving false info... I can say I personally never intentionally gave false information to any customer, but unfortunately the turn-over rate for our employees is too high so we are always trying to train new ones. I know you have noticed the same thing pumpkin if you have been with customer service for at least 1 year then you know how often empl...
(continues)
muchdrama

Nov 17, 2003, 11:43 AM
You may have noticed my attempt to actually resolve this nastiness (in part on my account) by making nice with the board LONG ago...

Don

P.S. Winks at qagirl...
Big Daddy

Nov 17, 2003, 1:41 PM
I have had Sprint for 2 yrs and they suck, I will never have Sprint again.. T-Mobile rules
muchdrama

Nov 18, 2003, 8:48 PM
Oh, I dunno...I kinda dig their service. I'm even considering buying a couple of push-to-talk phones. One for me and one for qagirl. THEN I can annoy her all the time and she can retaliate in kind. I'm dastardly, I tell you.

Don
qagirl

Nov 24, 2003, 12:01 AM
That would rock!! =)
qagirl

Oct 30, 2003, 7:35 PM
So you're the manager of an electronics chain.... Which would mean that you don't work specifically in the WIRELESS industry, just the "electronics" industry. And sometimes you sell phones. Yet you apparently know more than just about everyone else here on the ins and outs of cell phone bugs, performance across all carriers, and you are the expert here on camera phones, not to mention quality assurance standards and methods for testing. Interesting....

So next time I need my car serviced I'll take it to the local used car dealer on the corner. Because hey, he's sold a few so he must be the expert.
muchdrama

Oct 30, 2003, 8:25 PM
Again (for, like, the third time) you've managed to misunderstand me. I said I was the WIRELESS manager for a major electronics store. I've been doing this for a little over a year. Before my current job I was an on-site technician for PrimeCo, and before THAT I was a quality assurance technician for Voicestream. All I said beforehand was that the Sanyo 5300 and 8100 were both SOUND phones from the get go. We (meaning myself and my customers) experienced NO bugs, glitches or other weirdness. I do remember some problems around the time the 5300 was released but they were carrier focused...they didn't have anything to do with the phone. Cute analogy about your car getting serviced, though...people always try to cover up ignorance with pathetic...
(continues)
mk

Oct 30, 2003, 8:47 PM
Are you, like, a valley girl? Like, you're a wireless manager, like that's so cool! Like, people don't talk that way anymore, like, ya get it?
muchdrama

Oct 30, 2003, 9:10 PM
Actually, in all fairness, I AM a Valley Girl. I'm assuming that little tidbit about me will either earn me a guffaw or it'll irritate you to the point of murder. Oh well...feel free to ignore me. No more arguments from me.
mk

Oct 30, 2003, 9:41 PM
Nope, murder isn't on the agenda right now.
qagirl

Oct 31, 2003, 12:41 AM
"Cute analogy about your car getting serviced"

Thanks! =)
muchdrama

Oct 31, 2003, 2:32 PM
Okay...now that made me feel really bad about acting like an ass (the sarcasm, rude wording, etc...). So now I'll just be nice and attempt to get along with everybody. Sorry.
muchdrama

Oct 31, 2003, 3:02 PM
Okay...now that made me feel really bad about acting like an ass (the sarcasm, rude wording, etc...). So now I'll just be nice and attempt to get along with everybody. Sorry.
mk

Oct 30, 2003, 8:45 PM
qagirl - I think you're wasting your time with muchdrama. Apparently, the world misquotes everything he says. I dunno, I think I read his posts pretty clearly, and I responded intelligently. But we're all apparently not smart enough to actually understand what he means. Maybe it's time we go back to school so we can talk intelligently to muchdrama - after all, we're all dumb according to him. Or we can just ignore him. Yeah, I like that idea better.
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 2:29 AM
FYI....vzw network is attws/cingular network. not their own
u ppl just make things up keep in mind vz has no wireless liscences in boston...they buy air from att, florida same thing only cingular....look at the lisences on fcc.gov vz if/when it gets too big attws . cing will snatch the coverage away from them : )
jungleroom_x

Dec 6, 2003, 10:17 AM
VZW is not attws/cingular. attws/cingular is TDMA/GSM, and you can't use VZW phones on there.

Just FYI, 1XRTT is not 3G. Neither is EV-DO nor EV-DV. It's like...2.5G. 3G is 3XRTT.
iammebutnotme

Dec 6, 2003, 4:03 PM
Correct to a point, jungle. 3xRTT is an experimental overlay VZW is trying to enhance their ExpressNetwork speeds. Right now, EN speeds are around 40-50k (per website) w/ burst up to 144k. They want to enhance the speed up to higher than dial-up 56k, so they're trying the 3xrtt. For now, however, the 1xRTT is considered a 3g upgrade compared to the regular CDMA standard.

Fone, do your research. I guess by your bad spelling and grammar that you're not stateside. "PCS" refers to nothing more than the radio band that the wireless phone works on; there is a 1.8GHz PCS band that the TDMA/GSM phones work on, and there's a 1.9GHz band that the CDMA carriers work on. With the advent of TDMA digital, the encryption process clogged the 800MHz band ...
(continues)
jungleroom_x

Dec 6, 2003, 5:20 PM
Actually, 3XRTT is the true definition of the final 3G product on CDMA. EV-DO (Rvolution-Data Only) and EV-DV (Evolution Data/Voice) have to come before 3XRTT.
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 9:22 PM
umm umts is 3g once again im trained on this by a major carrier that deals in gsm and tdma.....with a goal of achieving true 3g, digital cant be 3g (3g is basicly the goal f being global) vz doesnt work in 70% of the world as gsm does
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 9:20 PM
1st off gsm has no esn...its called imei. i have extensive training in cell phone technology...by a major carrier who deals in tdma and gsm, you know nothing....
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 9:25 PM
uhhh sure buddy u cant use vzw on the exclusive networks...but they have open ones....uhhhhh its called roaming, and when u have roaming agreemets u can. shhhh.
jungleroom_x

Dec 8, 2003, 5:36 PM
u can't use VZW on GSM networks. Their phones operate at 800 and 1900, GSM operates on 900 and 1800 if I'm not mistaken, I'm not a GSM expert.

If it doesn't recognize the frequency, then it doesn't support it.

And 3g has nothing to do with being worldwide, and what do you mean digital cannot be 3g?

3G simply means "3rd Generation", and has to do with the ability/quality of the network, not its size.
z1

Nov 24, 2003, 12:27 AM
I have to agree, whenever I go to a Verizon store, their phones feel so fragile. To bad Nokia has a hard time making great CDMA phones for vzw.
handyman

Dec 5, 2003, 1:15 AM
Verizon uses a very cheap network CDMA, its basicly the volkswagon of wireless, only a hand full of phones are still made that are compatible. nokia will acualy discontinue cdma handsets early next year. They plan on producing 8 total. this will be a very negitive impact on customers.....new phones? maybe in a few years when they upgrade like attws did 3 years ago only attws was on tdma a much newer version of verizons fossil network, when they made the change.
iammebutnotme

Dec 5, 2003, 9:53 PM
Verizon ACTUALLY is coming out w/ some great new phones. There are plans in the works to actually drop Nokia (b/c Nokia wants to concentrate on the GSM market instead of the CDMA market stateside). Instead, Samsung, Motorola, and LGElectronics are teaming up w/ VZW to make some awesome new phones, taking advantage of Verizon's 1xRTT high-speed network. Nothing other than that has been released to us RadioShack associates/mgrs as yet, but that's the real skinny.

(BTW, handyman, do your research. TDMA is 2nd-gen digital, CDMA 2.5-gen, and 1xRTT is 3G digital tech. VZW's network is 3G, whilst AT&T is going BACKWARDS from TDMA to GSM (1st-gen). The only "fossil" network in existence are all the TDMA carriers, as they're either upgrading to 3G...
(continues)
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 2:17 AM
acualy no, gsm is 2.5 umts is 3g.....radio shack huh? i work for moto..lol toy store fokelore
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 2:20 AM
iammebutnotme, oh ya i forgot, if vzw is 2.5 why does attes have 2x speed wireless internet than vzw?(EDGE TECHNOLOGY) now that speed rating is per FCC.gov web site?????? Radioshack lol
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Dec 7, 2003, 5:10 PM
I wish people would stop throwing the terms 2G, 2.5G, and 3G around, Let me clarify something....

1G - In mobile telephony, analog and circuit-switched systems. Voice links were poor, handoff unreliable, capacity low, and security almost non-existent. Active development is no longer going on for 1G systems and in some areas 1G spectrum is being auctioned for 2G and 3G use.

2G - In mobile telephony, the use of digital encoding and technologies that include Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), time division multiple access (TDMA), and code division multiple access (CDMA). Such networks are in use worldwide and support high bit rate voice and limited data communications. Most 2G protocols offer data, fax, and short message servi...
(continues)
fonefact

Dec 8, 2003, 2:28 AM
SO like i said...vz 2g
.GSM/GPRS, attws current sevice and in july UMTS true 3G....as far a 4G goes DoComo Japan is within 2 years of it so did you google search that info or do you yahoo>?
ps u work at radioshack.
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Dec 8, 2003, 5:41 PM
We have to know these terms, working at ATTWS, that is...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.