Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Verizon CTO Speaks Out

Rich Brome

Dec 9, 2003, 3:24 PM
Really fascinating comments from the Verizon Wireless CTO:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=documen ... »

MMS interoperability is a no-brainer if you ask me, but it's great to hear Verizon talking about it. I know from past conversations with Sprint officials that they have the same outlook, and ditto for T-Mobile and the other GSM carriers. Hopefully it won't be long now... 😎

But the really fascinating comment was about time-to-market for new phones. Here's the Verizon top tech exec admitting that it takes way too long to get new CDMA phones to market, and pointing the finger at their own carrier customization demands. 😳

Analysts and manufacturers ha...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Dec 10, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yeah but he wants All the CDMA carrier to switch to BREW, and get rid of Java! Sprint will not do it becuase of limiting the customer download experience. If they did, it would mean no more free ringtones and stuff like that. I think VZW needs to drop BREW and go Java.

STOP LIMITING YOUR CUSTOMERS VERIZON!!
Rich Brome

Dec 10, 2003, 12:19 PM
True. I agree 100%.

BREW does have its advantages for the carrier - it is an end-to-end solution. But in the end, you need a developer ecosystem that isn't limited to CDMA. Only Java spans all the current and future technologies.

If Verizon truly had vision, they would be behind Java. Java has its issues right now, but that is why Verizon should be using its (considerable) influence to bring standards and sanity to the Java world.

Verizon could be out there saying "our standard platform is MIDP version X, with these JSRs, and we are standardizing on these 2-3 specific screen sizes". And there are solutions that provide BREW-like download, billing, and device management capabilities for Java.

Unfortunately, Verizon has a lot inves...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.