Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 19 replies

can a tmobil or alltell phone work on the verizon network?

evilw0rries

Dec 2, 2003, 1:52 PM
I was wondering if I could purchase a phone from another carrier and use it with my verizon services.
Thanks Chad
poison7

Dec 2, 2003, 10:34 PM
No. It is a different technology.
Rich Brome

Dec 3, 2003, 3:50 AM
As for T-Mobile to Verizon, it's impossible (incompatible technology).

From a technical standpoint, you might be able to use an Alltel phone with Verizon, but I don't recommend it. You would need to get the MSL code from Alltel, then get Verizon to activate it. You may need friends who work for both carriers to do that. Basically, if you value your time and effort, it's usually cheaper (as in faster and easier) to just get a phone from Verizon.

Even if you could get it to work, not all of the features would work - you might be left without things like Mobile Web and Get It Now, for example.
Pelcomm

Dec 4, 2003, 11:54 PM
Our service center can flash most Altell phones with the correct info to allow it to be activated normally on Verizon, and vice versa.
We normally charge less than 20 bucks to do this. Its all a matter of software and cables.
handyman

Dec 5, 2003, 1:08 AM
acualy no, tmobile uses gsm, verizon use cdma alltell if im not misatkes is using the pcs (personal communication system)its old and only sprint supports it. its unstable insecure , while gsm (tmobile) is very reliable, secure and its bot 30 years old...yes older than analogue.
iammebutnotme

Dec 5, 2003, 9:58 PM
Caught ya again, handyman. PCS is 2.5-3g technology. Currently, there are 2 major carriers using the PCS band: VZW and Sprint, both for their high-speed data services. SPCS decided to build exclusively up there, and VZW incorporated it when they went to 1xRTT.

Actually, T-Mobile is the only GSM carrier using the secure version of GSM. Both Cingular, AT&T, and the most of the other world-wide GSM carriers are still using one form or another of the original GSM technology, which is NOT secure, STILL prone to ESN-hacking, and can be easily snooped w/ a computer and a scanner. NOT a very reliable way to go.
fonefact

Dec 6, 2003, 2:33 AM
are u crazy iammebutnotme? btw esn hacking.....do u mean cloning? All gsm is the same, as follows.....SIm card to SOA to oderpath, then to network verification back to handset with different encypted codes excusive to the carrier. thats every 5 seconds....while on a call its constant, PCS is from the 70;s man.
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Dec 7, 2003, 12:57 PM
.......PCS is actually a digital offering that combines message and cellular capabilities; a new generation of wireless technology available for development when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) auctioned off spectrum for that purpose in the 1900-MHz range. The digital signals of PCS are a series of rapid pulses, unlike analog's steady flow. I thought you would know, assuming you work for ATTWS, that AT&T Wireless is using the IS-136 digital time division multiple access (TDMA) standard to deliver PCS new features.

RaVeN
Rich Brome

Dec 8, 2003, 2:30 AM
Not true. PCS is only a frequency band - it is not a technology.

CDMA and GSM are digital technologies. They work the same regardless of frequency band. GSM and CDMA are both deployed in both bands - PCS (1900 MHz) and Cellular (800/850 MHz).
fonefact

Dec 8, 2003, 2:45 AM
true only gsm is not the same around the worl like u said earlier, gsm has global and n. american freq. global uses 900/1800 and gsm takes close to 2 times the encytion steps compared to c/tdma technologies....hence SIM cards when a carrier burns one (activate) its starts a constand argurythm code thats always stays in sync with the carriers several verification systems, thats why sometimes gsm phones need to be power cycled in order to place a call, (turn on and off) it resets the sequence.
Rich Brome

Dec 8, 2003, 2:27 AM
Almost everything you said is simply untrue.

PCS is not a technology, it's a frequency band (1900 MHz), and ALL of the top-six U.S. carriers use it in at least some parts of the country. It has nothing to do with high-speed data - data and voice, GSM and CDMA, work the exact same in the PCS band as in the Cellular (800 MHz) band.

T-Mobile is not using any special "secure" kind of GSM - it's the same as AT&T, Cingular, and every other GSM carrier.
fonefact

Dec 8, 2003, 2:35 AM
wrong.
Rich Brome

Dec 8, 2003, 9:30 AM
🙄

I don't suppose you would care to elaborate or back up your claims? Which part of what of what I said do think is "wrong"?
Phonedude61

Dec 10, 2003, 12:37 PM
ALLTEL and Verizon both use CDMA technology and their networks are interchangable in that both carriers phones will work on each others networks.
Rich Brome

Dec 10, 2003, 1:00 PM
I don't believe features like BREW and MMS will work interchangeably that way. Someone please correct me if they've successfully done it.
jbanda

Dec 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
nope. two different technologies. Last time I checked, tmobil is all 3g. verizon needs to move towards 3g. They are locking in 2-4 year contracts. They are trying to screw everyone out there with contracts. Then they will need to begin their network upgrades
mmdstech2

Dec 28, 2003, 1:17 AM
A Alltel handset might be able to be unlocked and used on the Verizon network, assuming it's a CDMA handset. T-Mobile is GSM so it won't work. Also, there are no national carriers pushing 4 year contracts, thats ridiculous. 1-2 years is normal.
jungleroom_x

Dec 29, 2003, 6:01 PM
Wrong. TMobile isn't 3G. The difference is TMobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. Also, Verizon is the closest American company to having a 3G network (Introduction of EV-DO puts Verizon firmly at 2.5G, with no other company even offering nationwide highspeed of 144k burst. Sorry folks, it doesn't exist yet), with Sprint somewhat following up.

AllTell will work on VZW, no real unlocking necessary. I've activated a few AllTell phones on VZW, so I know firsthand.

And Verizon isn't pushing 4 year contracts. Jbanda, I don't know what fool you get your info from, but you might want to stop listening.
NeumZ

Dec 29, 2003, 6:43 PM
Cingular and ATT are at 2.5G. they both have EDGE which has speeds up to 180-200K
jungleroom_x

Dec 30, 2003, 6:25 PM
EDGE is nationwide? 🙄

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.