Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 25 replies

information Plz,personal Emergency response

AA55US

Nov 17, 2003, 7:44 AM
hello all,can someone from Nokia please tell me,
situation,
disabled with Emphysema, COPD, on O2,& in an electric wheelchair, (but staying active)

Does nokia have any type of phone,with a GPS locator in it, where when out & about if an emergency happens i can push 1 button & automatically (911 emergency)would be able to locate me 7 send help if i cannot speak??,have a 3360 but would get better phone if nec,
right now looking at getting a separate phone to carry with me that has GPS (locator) &
PERSONAL EMERGENCY Response System
thanks AA,
pumpkin

Nov 18, 2003, 12:47 AM
if you are specifically looking for a nokia phone that is capable of that i would suggest going to the nokiausa.com website and doing a search, just put gps in the search bar, i got 35 matches when i did it, all phones with gps, and you can get a dealer or someone else to help you program the one key so it will automatically dial 911, thats just a matter of programing a phone book entry. also if you purchase a new phone from the nokia website you can 50.00 for trading in your old phone
AA55US

Nov 18, 2003, 11:36 AM
"Pumplin", 1st THANK U for the information, Iwent to the site U rec, it's appreciated,
1 LAST QUESTION,

i called cingular wireless,(my phone cellular provider) and even though the phone i have Nokia 3360, dosen't say so, i was told ""yes if you call 911 emergency personal will automatically be able to locate you"", i am wonder if the rep is "just saying that" to make me happy or should i go by what the PHONE capabilities DON'T SAY.
Thank u again, "AA'
AA55US

Nov 18, 2003, 12:28 PM
Was thinking maybe of buying a 2nd phone like this,

http://www.emergencymedicalalertsystems.com/GPSCellu ... »

GPS3000 Cellular 911 Emergency Telephone ,For the first time, you can call for help by pressing on button - and the emergency operator can precisely locate your position...even if you don't know where you are!
Big Daddy

Nov 18, 2003, 1:43 PM
Cingular is lying
mk

Nov 18, 2003, 4:11 PM
OK...you tell people not to buy Verizon Wireless (on the other thread), and you say Cingular is lying....

Let me guess - you work for Sprint, right?
Big Daddy

Nov 18, 2003, 4:20 PM
used 2 they suck no sms
mk

Nov 18, 2003, 4:55 PM
Whatever...your scientific and detailed analysis really convinced me to switch from Verizon. Thanks for making me see the light.
Big Daddy

Nov 18, 2003, 4:57 PM
I wasnt talking to you anyway. so why would I care what you think 😈
mk

Nov 18, 2003, 5:08 PM
Well, when someone directs a stupid comment to the group, expect a response. It's called being thick skinned.
Big Daddy

Nov 18, 2003, 5:17 PM
you are a piece of cra... er work...
AA55US

Nov 18, 2003, 6:15 PM
i asked a question because I didn't know, if thats a crime for asking a question, but NOW I KNOW, when i need to or want to ask a question, to either cal & speak to many different tech at a dealer & don't bother to ask here, U HAVE LEFT ME with a good impression of this place I'll make sure I don't come back, this is directed to ESPECIALLY BIG DADDY & MK,
pumpkin

Nov 18, 2003, 11:22 PM
most people on here are not like that. they just have a beef with each other and its nothing against you.

PS cingular is lying to you, there is research on how to locate people when they call 911, the closest we can get now is a 10 mile radius.
mk

Nov 19, 2003, 8:27 AM
Not sure what the problem is here. Big Daddy ripped Verizon in the other thread simpy because he couldn't get reception where he lives, then he makes a silly comment by saying "Cingular is lying". So I simply called him out, that's all. What's the harm?
Big Daddy

Nov 20, 2003, 1:34 PM
Cingular is lying they do not have GPS at this time
Myth

Nov 20, 2003, 6:40 PM
Big Daddy said:
Cingular is lying they do not have GPS at this time

So the corporate implementation of e911 involves lying to customers and hoping they die of failed 911 calls before catching on?

Unlikely. Way too vulnerable to legal action, at the very least.

AA55US said:
i called cingular wireless,(my phone cellular provider) and even though the phone i have Nokia 3360, doesn't say so, i was told ""yes if you call 911 emergency personal will automatically be able to locate you""

Despite my comments above, I feel the representative was confused, misinformed, or did not completely understand your questions.

All I have found on 911 call-location (and there isn'...
(continues)
Myth

Nov 20, 2003, 6:49 PM
Myth said:
All I have found on 911 call-location (and there isn't much) refers exclusively to GSM phones, of which the Nokia 3360 is not a member. (I like it as a phone, but it is TDMA.)

Okay, so I was wrong.
🤭

Your current phone will not make a difference. Rich (as usual) has been able to take a tricky subject and summarize it nicely.
Big Daddy

Nov 21, 2003, 10:09 AM
yes you were wrong
Big Poppa

Nov 26, 2003, 4:07 PM
Lets get this out in the open.. The celluar providers DO NOT provide E911 services. But they do supply phones that are GPS enabled so that whenever you local 911 service is upgraded to handle mobile E911 calls, they will be ale to locate you.. I believe the deadline according to the FCC is that ALL 911 centers be upgraded to handle these calls by the end of 2005
Rich Brome

Nov 30, 2003, 2:27 PM
Not exactly. "GPS" technology in the phones is only involved in CDMA systems. With GSM, U-TDOA technology is used - not GPS. And the phone is not actively involved - the network triangulates the phone's signal.

Saying that the cellular providers don't provide E-911 isn't quite accurate, either. It's a joint system - the cellular provider must have network systems that figure out the exact location, then pass that info on to the 911 call centers. The 911 call centers only receive the location data - they don't calculate it.
Big Daddy

Nov 18, 2003, 5:11 PM
I was not directing anything toward you. I was talking to the person who posted the question... Idiot
AA55US

Nov 19, 2003, 6:25 AM
Thanks Pumpkin, I found the answer with your help,"MK the reply given was along the lines that you mentioned,except phone could be traced,but it would take a little bit,to find out which cell tower the signal was comming from,
but was told a Fed'l mandated law is making all cell phone service providers put equipment in place on their cell phones, & make cities comply to trace 911 calls to be completed by 2005

and i came on this site to ask a question, but "VERY OBVIOUSLY" some here, think it is wrong for someone to ask anything,so in closing & THIS SITE FOR GOOD,, after big daddy last comments,about anyone posting a question,

to Big daddy, by your tone toy have had a bad time with cellular phone companies, (this is my FIRST CELL PHO...
(continues)
wb

Nov 25, 2003, 12:32 AM
This depends on if the area you are in is prepared to even utilize that version of search technology. CDMA is better at being being found, with GSM running in second place. TDMA comes with a disclaimer that it's not always going to work.

On the 405 loop I have no problems, though sometimes the 911 operator will ask for descriptions of the area I am near, this helps them clarify the placement. GPS is not on the dot. Be smart and carry a car charger so you can stay on the line, or be available for call backs, until you can look your helper in the eyes. Always make sure 911 knows your cell phone number.
I have heard too many dispatches where they can't call back the cell phone either because it lost power or was turned off. Someti...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Nov 19, 2003, 6:24 PM
No, Nokia does not make any phone with true GPS. The only phones with true GPS are some from Benefon and some of the newer Nextel phones form Motorola. But that actually has very little to do with your situation and 911.

All current CDMA phones (for Verizon and Sprint) have something called A-GPS, but from a practical standpoint, it doesn't do anything that can't be done without it, using tower-only technology (as Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile are doing). A-GPS is more accurate, but accuracy of E-911 location systems are also highly dependent on many other factors.

ALL of the major U.S. carriers are currently deploying E-911 systems that can locate you precisely when you call 911 - they are being required to do it by law.

Some carrie...
(continues)
AA55US

Nov 20, 2003, 6:53 AM
for the detailed message,IT IS very much appreciated,so am just going to have to wait,for city to upgrade its system..thanks again & take care, "AA",
AA55US

Nov 20, 2003, 6:58 AM
apologise I mean "Rich"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.