Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

appropriate technology and the limits of cell phones

MarkF

Sep 9, 2005, 4:30 AM
That article would be accurate. Cell phone sites need so much technology and support from 3rd parties that they are unreliable during a disaster.

That is why public safety radio systems and amateur radios typically operate even under above normal conditions and are self-sufficient. They are designed to operate for long period of times without the need of supporting technologies from others.
sammy2

Sep 9, 2005, 10:39 AM
Yesterday I read that a ham radio the size of a cigarette pack can transmit about twenty miles.
MarkF

Sep 11, 2005, 5:13 PM
It would depend on what the cigarette size radio is talking to. There are amateur repeater systems that can range from 50' to 1700' above the ground and even some on top of mountains.

The 50' ones can communicate around 10 miles and the higher ones can go up to and over 100 miles. All depends on location, location, location. 😁
MarkF

Sep 22, 2005, 9:27 AM
Vox Dei

Sep 13, 2005, 1:31 PM
A sat phone reach a geostationary Satilite at 36,000 km....(roughtly 15,000 miles). and it's only about twice that size.
sammy2

Sep 13, 2005, 3:16 PM
Sat phones are wonderful but very expensive to own and operate.
Vox Dei

Sep 13, 2005, 3:26 PM
Well ya. At $70,000/lb to launch a satilite (i believe that's what nasa is charging right now) it costs a lot to get the sat up in the air so they have to charge alot. My point was that with current technology we ca make brodcasts go just about as far as we want with some very small devices. What is holding us back is the amount of power we can safely put out and current terrain limitations (the world is not flat).
sammy2

Sep 13, 2005, 3:31 PM
Redundancy is key to safety. I think every community should have multiple strategies in place.
sammy2

Sep 13, 2005, 4:17 PM

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.