Phone Scoop

printed July 23, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=4&fi=3272124

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

Back to message list

Replying to:  Why I prefer the iPhone over ANDROID by RockinHerda   Jun 1, 2011, 12:31 PM

Mobile OS preference these days boils down to two questions...

by hepresearch    Dec 24, 2013, 12:19 AM   edited Dec 24, 2013, 12:21 AM

1) Do you prefer more available functions over smooth graphics?

2) Do you intend to personally manage the security of your device content?

In the case of the first question, it is a matter of function over form, or the opposite. Customization really is not much of an issue any more, at least not in terms that are independent from added functionality. Android is highly functional, and in so doing it offers greater diversity of operations and customizations, but this is at the price of some stability and smoothness. Apple's iOS is much more refined in appearance, but this is at the cost of some base functionality (though some function is added back in with a slightly more robust field of apps). Apps really are the great equalizer in this mobile universe, with Apple and Google being close enough to each other that there is no longer a terrible discrepancy in available application products.

In the case of the second question, it is all a matter of who is managing the security... as long as you are taking the responsibility for securing your content upon yourself, whether that is through carefully not placing susceptible content on your device or through the use of third-party encryption of your own choosing, then you would answer "yes." If you are relying upon your IT department at work to secure your device, relying upon your chosen carrier or manufacturer to provide a solution, or entirely ignoring the idea that your device may ever be insecure, then your answer is "no."

The answers to these two questions may be a good indicator of which mobile OS you ought to be looking at. If you answered "yes" to both questions, then Android is a likely best fit for your use. If you answered "no" to both, then the iPhone with iOS is likely your best solution. If you answered "yes" on 1) and "no" on 2), then you should probably take a deeper look at BlackBerry. If you answered the opposite... "no" on 1) and "yes" on 2)... then maybe you should try out a Windows Phone.

1) yes, 2) yes - Android
1) yes, 2) no - BlackBerry
1) no, 2) yes - Windows Phone
1) no, 2) no - iOS

As for me, I came from the world of Symbian, and I really never left. I have sold off all of my good devices, and given away or recycled all the ones I couldn't sell... bankruptcy ended my collection of smartphones... and I once thought that I might go down the Windows Phone or iOS path, in spite of my old liking for open systems like Symbian. I liked Android at one time, before Symbian was declared dead, so I never did make the switch because Android became less appealing at some point before having to get rid of my favorites... then again I am crazy, so I keep on changing my mind (schizophrenia kills all sorts of plans). No new smartphone yet, though, and maybe I'll stay away from smartphones for a little while longer. Being cheap might restrict me to Android anyway, even when the appropriate time arrives.

Best regards, and a Merry Christmas to all!

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.