Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 7 replies

802.11ac Wireless: WHEN?

JRDL

Mar 11, 2013, 9:56 PM
Most (if not all) smartphones today have 802.11abgn wireless capabilities. Any predictions as to then the smartphone manufacturers will begin offering 802.11ac enabled products? First silicon was available last year with production ramping up 1st-2nd Q 2013 from Broadcom.
Jayshmay

Mar 17, 2013, 7:50 AM
Broadcom? Name me a popular smartphone that has a Broadcom chip in it???

Anyway, to answer your question, the recently announced Samsung Galaxy S4 will have "ac".
It'll reach U.S. carriers late April/early May.

Another emerging technology I think is worth waiting for is Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 processor! And Qualcomm's RF360 chip. Google them, the capabilities the Snapdragon 800 & RF360 chip will unlock will be mindblowing.
Riot_Act

Mar 28, 2013, 9:33 PM
At some point ARM will transform into something hardly describable as RISC (remember MAC G5?).
Programmers know about this because making applications for ARM is a bit different than programming for x86 platforms.

A lot of surprises await for us this year.
Jayshmay

Mar 29, 2013, 9:53 AM
I'm really excited about all the advancements the Snapdragon 800 will bring to smartphones, I can't even begin to imagine all the capabilities a 2.3ghz quad-core processor will bring.

Plus it brings a 75% improvement in battery efficiency, USB 3.0 support, and QuickCharge 2.0.

I currently have the Samsung Droid Charge, essentially equivalent to the Galaxy S1,so I am ready for an upgrade,... but I'm going to wait for a smartphone with the Snapdragon 800 to come to market,I think it'll be worth the wait.
JRDL

Apr 24, 2013, 12:21 AM
I'm definitely waiting for a better, faster smartphone than either the SGS4 or HTC One. Both have received over-the-top drooling reviews, but you have to wonder what all the hoopla is really about.

My baseline requirements for my next smartphone: USB 3.0, BT 4.0, 802.11ac wi-fi, microSDHC card slot, removable battery (hopefully), 1080p HD display & camera.

Let's see if I'll be a happy geek in the coming months, or a disgruntled curmudgeon swearing off all tech.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new QualComm chips. Hopefully, one of the smartphone makers will get it *right* one of these days.
Jayshmay

Apr 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
The Snapdragon 800 Wilkinson be able to do
USB 3.0, and a bunch of other mind blowing things.

You'll probably end up getting a new smartphone somewhere around October, Note 3 is my guess.
Rich Brome

Mar 28, 2013, 9:11 PM
The HTC One has 802.11ac.
JRDL

Apr 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the tip.

I've been following HTC's launch of the One and it has been an unmitigated disaster in my opinion. Their various email offers for free cases or $100 rebates through the email links to the LetsTalk.com website do not work and have expired.

The only redeeming thing HTC has done is to offer an unlocked 32GB or 64GB models of the One smartphone. The 64GB version has the unlocked bootloader (but may not work with certain DRM-locked media).

Let's see if Samsung does better with the SGS4 product launch.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.