Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

processors

notsavvy55

Aug 23, 2011, 9:38 PM
I ran across this statement:

A better and/or faster processor allows apps to run faster. Raw processor speed is measured in MHz or GHz. (1 GHz = 1,000 MHz.) However some processors are more powerful than others, so even if two different processors both run at 1 GHz, if one is more powerful, it may run software apps much faster.

🙄
So what makes one 1 GHZ processor "more powerful" than another 1 GHZ processor, and how can I tell one from the other?
cooperive

Aug 25, 2011, 3:48 AM
Basically, the architecture of processor effect the computing capability. For example, the dual core processor performs better than single core processor. Just hared that Intel is going to design a 8 core processor.
Jellz

Aug 25, 2011, 1:00 PM
Yeah, basically (from what I understand) each core can do its own thing. So your computer basically can multitask on more processes easier. I think.
Rich Brome

Sep 3, 2011, 6:55 PM
Some are simply newer / better and more powerful. There are myriad different things that go into it. (Things like more pipelines, more cache, better branch prediction, different instruction sets, tighter graphics integration, and dozens of other things that only electrical engineers understand.)

The best way to tell which processors are faster is to check out benchmarks of actual devices.

Note that some phones have better implementations (supporting chips and circuitry, etc.) of specific chips than others, so even if two phones have the same processor, one make be faster. So phone benchmarks are often more important than knowing the processor type.
Jellz

Sep 5, 2011, 3:52 PM
Also, don't forget that software can affect the processor's functioning. Phones with more outdated software (prime example is the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, which was stuck on Android 1.6 forever) can run slower than similar phones with more up-to-date software. Not sure if that's processor related or not, strictly speaking.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.