Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

looking for help and information.

nophonecartel

Jun 11, 2011, 11:13 PM
Just a couple of moments of background.
I have had a HTC touch pro (I understand what a s*&^ phone it is) I am busy and my phone takes a beating. I have had it replaced 4 times (paying the 100 deductable) and it continues to be problematic.

I totally detest the fact that the apparent cartel of service providers and phone makers coerce people into contracts and upgrades etc. I simply feel that communication is so important and I will resist all attempts to control it.

I understand that I could have just signed new contracts, cancelled them and would have been better off and gotten a new phone. However, I would be supporting a system I do not agree with .

My question is this, in a perfect world. I would like to have a phone that at ...
(continues)
Xobjen

Jun 12, 2011, 9:52 AM
The way the current world works, you can either get a more high-end phone with more support available for you at a comparably dirt-cheap price, as long as you sign a contract (Company has to recoup that money they discounted you somehow), or you can get a lower-end phone that would be affordable to you, get a prepaid service and understanding that, due to the nature of the company, you might not get as much customer support for your service as if you were in contract.

From what you ask, I believe prepaid would be perfect for you. Check your coverage, and I would advise browsing through the phones available for Metro and Virgin Mobile (imo the top tier in prepaid data), or Cricket (the more affordable option.

I hope you find a service t...
(continues)
nophonecartel

Jun 12, 2011, 3:30 PM
Xobjen,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have considered getting a pre-paid. Most of the carriers say that you then become a "second class citizen" where if it gets to busy you will be the first dropped while their contract customers get priority.

Now I don't know if that is a lot of sales crap or what so I don't have the information to make a decision on that yet, I would tend to think it is more likely some half truth sales pitch.

That said, I still must say, when you think about it, the large carriers probably have a very sweet deal with their phone suppliers because of their volume sales. In the end if you sign a 2 year contract it is similar to paying an finance fee for the phone that is 4-8 times higher then if you had purchas...
(continues)
Lord Azrael

Jun 19, 2011, 2:45 PM
Our four major networks are not fully compatible. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology for 3g, but Verizon uses LTE for 4g, while Sprint uses WiMax, which makes it harder on manufacturers to do that; however, you will note that most models are offered for both carriers if they're 3g.

T-Mobile and AT&T, while both using GSM and WCDMA technology, use different bandwith for data, which causes some of the phones of the one to be incompatible with the other.

IMO, they have done so this way to make sure they have their own, signature network and to enjoy the exclusivity for their devices.

However, you'll find that some phone models, like the LG Optimus and most Blackberries, has managed to get around these quirks.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.