Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Cells with built in USB 2.0?

universe1fry

May 21, 2011, 3:12 AM
(My brother is not so very into tech toys, and wouldn't think to look in a forum like this, so I am asking for him.)

We are looking for a cellphone from a major carrier that has a built in USB 2.0 MALE part (like on a thumb drive), not the FEMALE PART (like how most phones get their power, thru 'female' micro and mini USB ports. It can just be so very frustrating getting halfway to school and realizing that yeah, you have your phone, it has your data, but without the cord it's useless. If I can find him a cell (we barely care about the carrier) with a built-in USB 2.0 male part he'd be all set.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but if anybody knows of one I beg of you to let me know!
FaeLynne

May 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
It'd probably be easier just to either use a flash drive or buy a second cord to keep in your school bag or car. I don't know of a single phone that's currently out that has a male USB plug, or any soon to be released ones. It wouldn't be practical to make either, as when you plugged it into a USB port the weight of the phone would break the plug or pull it out of the port unless you sit there and hold it. It's why cords are a much more practical way to attach your phone to the computer.
universe1fry

May 21, 2011, 3:37 PM
No, it would not be. Easier would be a single device that did what those 2 devices (thumb/cell) do and fits in your pocket. The objective here is to have less tech, not more, otherwise he would just carry around a laptop.

I just don't get why this isn't a thing!
IrishCarBomb

May 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, way to freak out on the person trying to help you. Great way to show appreciation!

Oh, and the reason your stupid idea doesn't exist is because it would break quickly and easily, is a waste of space making the phone larger and more bulky, and from the sounds of it only a very small handful of unappreciative people would ever desire such a device, then would be upset it broke the first time they put it in their pocket to fast, or plugged it into their computer and forgot to support the phone so it didn't stress the usb connector.
FaeLynne

May 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
*shrug* If he doesn't want to listen and take a perfectly legit suggestion, it's cool. Some people just won't listen if you don't give them the answer they want.
Fredd

May 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
There is no such animal. It is simply easier to connect via the cable, plus the Cables are cheap and easy to carry. The engineering for such a plug would definitely impact the size and design of the device. With the industry moving to the micro USB as a standard, you can use someone else's cable.

Most phones are also capable of transferring date via Bluetooth (although far slower than via cable).

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.