Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 21 replies

What is a cloud?

dj89

Feb 23, 2011, 4:47 PM
I always hear it, but I don't know what it is...
SporkOnline

Feb 23, 2011, 7:06 PM
A collection of moisture and dirt that builds up in the air. Some clouds will produce percipatation in the form of snow,rain,sleet,etc.
dj89

Feb 24, 2011, 2:59 PM
I should have known someone would have answered the question by giving the literal definition...
desireuser442

Feb 24, 2011, 3:02 PM
it is a windows program that can sync from you tv to your computer and your computer to your phone now with the windows devices
dj89

Feb 24, 2011, 4:29 PM
It was just confusing for a bit.
pickles

Mar 1, 2011, 11:39 PM
no way dood i heard they use magnits
soberalex

Mar 7, 2011, 5:34 AM
lovo

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28 PM
lmfao! i think he means cloud storage or things stored on the internet
Ishamael

Feb 24, 2011, 12:22 AM
It may be in reference to cloud computing.

It involves using a single master server to hold information while a seperate machine accesses that information.

For instance, the up-and-coming mobile gaming company OnLive holds the game files and computing power on a remote server, and then transmits that information to the customer when they log in to play. It allows the customer to access and play the game without having the hardware or memory space to run it.
lbc1127

Feb 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
Are there any security issues with using accessing the "cloud"?
SporkOnline

Feb 24, 2011, 11:26 AM
The cloud is nothing more than the internet. When people refer to the cloud they are referring to any site that you can upload information. Facebook is in the cloud, google, flickr, etc. Some carriers have dedicated storage space for contacts,pics,etc.
Ishamael

Feb 26, 2011, 8:26 PM
Cloud computing is becoming a more popular way for businesses to run efficiently, and more companies are finding that they can use cloud servers to better serve their customers, so it's a term we'll start seeing more often.
DiamondPro

Feb 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
Its were data is stored to online servers to be used by the consumer. The cloud stores your information or files to be used later or restored. Google and Hp/Palm use a cloud to store your phones contacts, info, and apps so all you have to do is log in to recover your back up from the cloud. Pretty soon everything will be stored on the cloud and you wont need so much storage on your mobile device to access it. Google is working on a music based cloud and wp7 gives you 25gb of space.
Rich Brome

Feb 28, 2011, 8:37 AM
It means storing your stuff on the Internet instead of on your local device(s).

Like keeping your photos on Flickr instead of on your hard drive or phone.

Or using GMail instead of an email app on your computer or phone.
Joby Dick

Feb 28, 2011, 4:33 PM
And it is the way of the future. Smart companies, like Amazon, IBM and Google have already started investing heavily into massive server locations for future media and document storage needs.

In twenty years or less, we won't have physical computers. We will simply log in to a portal and instantly have access to every personal document we've ever drafted. I'm excited!
Ishamael

Mar 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
While that would be super-cool, I'd still like the option of keeping my stuff on a local machine. Only because then I'm certain that if the data is erased, it's completely my fault and not because of some strange corporate conspiracy targetting my totally inconsequential stuff.

Okay, so the conspiracy thing was a joke, but you get the idea I'm sure.
wdfichtel

Mar 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
If the whole Sidekick server crash taught us anything, it's that the cloud should never be the only source of important information. Yes, my contacts are synced with Gmail, but they're also on my SIM and exported to a cvf file on my computer. If it means something, back it up.
olderthandirt

Apr 17, 2011, 7:23 PM
Personally I am going with the collection of moisture in the air.

The internet cloud is where lost emails and in approriate pictures end up
Rich Brome

May 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Cloud = The Internet

Simple as that. 🙂
BerriesN

May 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
Isn't it like storage on the internet? I don't get the commercials where they're like "to the cloud" to fix photos etc.
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
It's not you, it's bad marketing. That Microsoft photo one is awful. It's not the "cloud" at all. Ignore that commercial if you want to understand the cloud. 😉

Seriously: cloud = Internet

That's all there is to it. 🙂
Carbon_Unit

May 20, 2011, 6:10 AM
the cloud is exactly that. The Cloud is a concept first designed for business, in which all media files and documents are stored on remote servers, thus removing the need for local storage. In layman's terms, the cloud allows users to access all of their files, pictures, music, etc. from any computer that has internet access, because all of the content is saved on a server in Greenland, for example, rather than on your hard drive. As the cloud is fully developed and graduates from its current infant stage, the need for massive hard drives will become obsolete. Rather than buy a computer with a 2 terabyte hard drive, you will buy a razor thin netbook (or tablet, etc.) with a hard drive of perhaps 2-10 GB. The only function of that hard drive ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.