Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

Back to message list

Top message:  AMOLED Screens by Lederhosen19   Jan 2, 2011, 1:56 AM

Replying to:  Re: AMOLED Screens by Lederhosen19   Jan 6, 2011, 10:09 PM

Re: AMOLED Screens

by Rich Brome (Moderator)    Jan 6, 2011, 11:00 PM

Well dammit. Now you've ruined it for me. Razz

Since this conversation, I've been looking more closely for this, and noticing it more here at CES.

As I said before, it's an issue of sub-pixels. It can happen with both LCD and OLED, I believe. The issue isn't inherent in OLED technology, it's just that some popular OLED panels have an unusual sub-pixel arrangement that sort of cheats to get the stated resolution.

What I mean is that... on a normal display, each pixel has red, green and blue. On the screens where you're noticing this issue, there are only two colors per pixel. One pixel might have blue and green, while the next pixel has red and blue, for example. This leads to the less-smooth appearance of straight lines that you're noticing.

Super AMOLED displays have this issue. However, Samsung has addressed the issue in its new Super AMOLED Plus displays. The new displays do not cheat on sub-pixels and therefore do look smooth up close (I checked!) Smile

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.